+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hiring a cleaner while SAHM

(a cleaner)

At the moment I'm a Sahm with almost 3yr old ds1 and 6 month old ds2. They are home with me every day (no day care). I try to clean while ds2 sleeps, but there is so much else to do during that short time and ds2 TOUCHES everything in draws and cupboards, and sprays my cleaning bottles etc when we go from room to room.
    My days (like all Sahm/d's) is busy with:

- feeding both (milk feeds/solids) at different times.
    - nappy changes / toilet training
    - washing, folding, ironing
    - changing bed/cot sheets
    - making dinner
    - making solids
    - shopping for groceries and another trip for miscellaneous iitems
    - banking
    - washing dishes
    - emptying dishwasher
    - visiting my mum (she is unwell)
    - playing with ds1/2 (park, playgroup etc)
    - etc

I am considering a cleaner fortnightly to do:
    - dusting
    - vacuuming
    - toilets and bathrooms
    - mopping
    - whatever else they can fit in 2 hours

I spoke to my bf the other day about how hard it is and how did she manage when her 2 were the same age and she said she never played much or did activities (eg play doh) with hers.
    Instead amongst the list above I spend a lot of time with ds1 in particular when he is not playing on his own (that's when I do my things quickly)

But still I feel a little guilty about having a cleaner. Tbh I probably won't tell anyone that I have one (except dh).

Does anyone else feel the same?

Ps: when ds1/2 are 4yrs and 6yrs old I probably won't need one as much as I would be able to leave them to play or they wouldnt be at that "touch everything" age.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 13-08-2012 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why do something you don't enjoy doing when you are happy (and can afford) to pay someone to do it?
    I only have one DS (9 months) and work 15 hours a week but I get the cleaner in for 2 hours a fortnight for extra cleaning.
    Not ashamed to tell people I enjoy the extra time it gives me with DS.
    It is also nobody else's business but yours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go for it! I hired a cleaner once my DS2 came along- I have a husband and wife team who come once a fortnight, use all their own equipment and cleaning products and stay for 1.5 hours and it costs $85- they are priceless to us!!!! They change all the beds, do bathrooms, toilets, floors, mopping, vacuuming, all surfaces, stove tops. ie they don't tidy up- they clean. Every second Friday is the best day for me as I have a clean home!!! It is something I would not cut from the family budget. The other thing is- it forces me to fully tidy the house in readiness for their arrival. I love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a SAHM with a cleaner.

She does:
    Bathrooms
    Windows
    Oven
    Dusting
    Then vacuum and mop if there's time

I find just having those few jobs I hate being done makes a huge difference.

I tidy and mop daily, do the washing, dishes myself.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had a cleaner in the past so I'm not opposed to it! I recently bought Enjo instead of hiring a cleaner as I don't have to worry about chemicals and it's quick and easy, I figured the $800 odd it cost me for a full set would be saved overtime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a regular cleaner but I have had one in for a big clean before events here a few times
    You shouldn't feel bad... Being a SAHM, especially to little ones, takes a lot of time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have a cleaner who comes fortnightly to do stuff like mopping, toilet, shower, windows, oven , all the stuff I hate! ( i had her before i had kids!)
    Don't worry about what other people think, Our babies only stay little for a while and life's too short to clean!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your advice!
    I am hoping the cleaner I am looking to hire cleans for other SAHM's too. I was thinking that she might wonder why I need one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    She won't care why you need one, she'll be happy to have the job!

It's the same as hiring a gardener or paying someone to wash your car - there's nothing wrong with outsourcing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is funny how a lot of us mums see it as a 'failure' if we pay somebody else to clean... as if that is the job WE are supposed to do.

Go for it I say, and do not let anyone make you feel bad about it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybear For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-08-2012)