+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My home phone, internet and mobile are all on a set plan which helps, but gas varies because it's like fuel in that the amount/L can vary but that's why I round it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got an excel doc that I downloaded off the Internet it runs off formulas and easy as to follow. it goes by a day to day basis over monthly periods.... pay bills on the day they r due and budget for savings etc it will tell u when u r about to go into debit it works for me. I guess for it to work well would b to have a permanent base weekly/fortnightly wage.. MSG me happy to pass it on I was apalling at budgeting previously

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pretty much what everyone else has said - worked out bills into pay period (we get paid fortnightly) and put this amount into bills account this includes car servicing and tyres etc

Some bills I pay fortnightly (electricity etc) others I pay as they come from the bills account - although takes discipline not to 'borrow' from this

Take out a set amount of cash for spending (coffees, takeaway, sport etc) and save what's left - I found having the cash for extra curricular things withdrawn saves us alot rather than going 'we going to xyz just get $50 out' when realistically you only need $30 iykwim?

I salary sacrifice onto a visa card that we use for groceries and petrol

We re evaluate our budget every six months or so to cover inflation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Working out every single bill as pp's have said and pay it all by the fortnight/month. Also allow for stuff like rego, car repairs, drs bills.

Also putting a little bit away for birthday pressies/Christmas helps. I put $150 a month away for family bday pressies and Christmas. Even putting $20 a week away for Chrissy is a grand at the end of the year, comes in handy.

I think also a good trick is to set whatever your "spending" money is and dont go over it unless it's an emergency. It's so easy for little bits and pieces to add up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a bills acct. I refuse to reduce the interest of big companies by giving them a penny more than Is due when the money could b reducing my interest in an offset account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    subs - i need to know too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a spread sheet and envelopes. Each week x amount goes into:
    Food
    Rent
    Phone & net
    Electricity & gas
    Pets
    Fuel
    Holiday
    Car (Rego/insurance/maintenance etc)
    And we have a Chrissy/birthday fund too. We also put some savings aside directly for the kids and in our rainy day account.

Hubby has a Salary which makes fortnightly budgeting easy. If his wage changed each week I guess we'd approach it differently.
    Anything left over once a bill comes in is either a buffer or tops up our saving account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh wow thanks everyone, that's really helped to give me a plan. Its obvious I need to come up with a figure for fixed expenses + food, and start tracking income/expenditure. I think I will open an everyday account and transfer a monthly figure into that for 'cost of living' and then track my budget from that. Working out of the offset account just does not work for me, having that rather large sum at my disposal wrecks my head (even tho its not really at my disposal, we owe it all on the mortgage and then some more)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ali01 View Post
    I've got an excel doc that I downloaded off the Internet it runs off formulas and easy as to follow. it goes by a day to day basis over monthly periods.... pay bills on the day they r due and budget for savings etc it will tell u when u r about to go into debit it works for me. I guess for it to work well would b to have a permanent base weekly/fortnightly wage.. MSG me happy to pass it on I was apalling at budgeting previously
    Ali01 do you remember where you found that doc? Could you link me to it? I looked at a few recently but there's a big variation (meaning I got confused and frustrated and gave up lol )