+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Need info: SLipped disk

Hi everyone,

I am looking on some info on a slipped disk. Has anyone had surgery for this? If so, what is the recovery time like and how dangerous is the surgery?

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep i had surgery about 5yrs ago. It has lessened the pain quite alot and is not pinching the nerve anymore. I still have my bad days especially if i over do it. I have lost length in my right leg and some feeling due to the nerve damage. The neurosurgeon said i will never be 100% and the best i could hope for would be 75%. He said i have to remember now that i have a back injury and watch how i bend, twist and lift things also i will never play competetive sports or run again....i run like a lame duck now! I do feel sad for my dd as i can't get down on the ground to play with her all the time and as she gets older i can't carry her for long but i make it up in having lots of snuggles on the lounge or bed so i can move around better.

As for the surgery itself it's bloody scary to think of but i'm glad i got it done as the pain was unbearable. yes there are risks like it wouldn't work or the would damage the nerve whilst cutting the disc out and i could of ended up with a floppy foot. i had to have 4mths off work then 4mths on light duties as i'm in a physical/violent job but if you work in an office its about 6-8 weeks. they told me the first 6mth is crucial to not put any starin on the back as there was a high chance of re rupturing the disc. as for exercise it was physio exercises and walks of 5x 3min walks and adding a minute every couple of days.

This winter has been terrible for me and have been told that arthritis has set in as i have been in quite alot of pain with the cold weather. My doc has been expecting it for years and said i have been lucky to go so long. By now i know when to head to physio to get some relief and i know the routine to help with the pain plus i have wonderful hubby who picks up alot of my slack and lets me slob in bed when i need to. I may not have my hot body anymore or play sport like i use to but i have my life back and have found other hobbies to enjoy.
    Last edited by cheekymonstersmum; 13-08-2012 at 22:56. Reason: forgot something

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmmm, my 65yo mother had a fall 2 months ago and was in pain for a week or 2. Then it went and 2 weeks later it came back more vicious. She has been on a strong dose of morphine that seemed to help a little bit, but it turned her into a zombie.
    She is having the surgery next week. I am concerned because she is not healthy nor strong. She has bloodpressure problems, edema and diabetes and is overweight.
    She is also a terrible person when it comes to resting and sitting still. I know she will get moving too soon. I hope they keep her in hospital for at least 6-8 weeks after surgery so they can make sure she stays flat on her back.
    I am also worried that it is similar to an old person breaking a hip. They will never be the same again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need info: SLipped disk

My husband has had 2 surgeries for a slipped disc. It involved (i think) a couple more medical terms but I can't remember. This was a few years ago now but from memory the recovery time wasn't too bad. He was up and walking at least a couple of days (if not less) after surgery. Hospital provided physio etc to help with walking and moving while there. He just took it easy a week or two then was ok to perform most tasks around the house. In saying that he still has problems with his back. He still has to have daily pain medication. He still has pain. All the time. But it is better than before his first and second surgery. If u want to know anything else feel free to ask

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum has a terrible back, slipped discs are just one issue. She will not have the surgery as she was advised it would put her in a wheelchair. However she also has a few other spinal conditions so she is the extreme case.

I have a slipped disc but havent done anything about it. I guess I am too chicken too after mums diagnosis.

I also have calcium build up on my spine over a few vertibrae which causes arm numbness and back ache alot. That was all from a car accident when I was 18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya,

The general rule is now they don't like you to lay in bed for ages with a crook back anymore.Although it's probably the only place to be comfy! The nuerosurgeon had me move around at least evry half an hour whilst i was at home before and after the surgery. The hospital physio had me up and walking the following morning after surgery and i was home four days later. The op i had was called a discectomy.

As some one else said it doesn't ever get rid of the pain altogether but it lessened mine. In saying that I will have to have my spine fused by the time i'm 40 as the rupture was quite large and they had to cut alot out and left no cushioning between the discs. The are rubbing on each other now.

If you want to know anything just ask me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    surgery should be a last resort.
    i've had multiple slipped/prolapsed discs for the last 12 years and have done physio, steroid injections, meds, yoga etc. for it.
    i did 2 years of intense physio and every person who had the surgery actually ended up worse afterwards.
    stay clear of chiro's for this problem too.
    i know i will need surgery one day but am waiting until all other options are not working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well the good thing is that she is a private patient and has one of the best neuro surgeons in the state. She will hear tomorrow exactly when and how and what.
    They did an MRI today to see how bad the damage was, so they know what they're going to find during the surgery.
    I guess they will do the surgery because she's already 65 with health problems and doing intensive physio will probably exhaust her too much.

So yeah, we'll see what they say tomorrow. Fingers crossed that the damage isn't too bad.