+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Have you used a student midwife?

How was the experience? What sorts of things did they discuss with you/help you with? Did you have them at your birth? What sort of role did they play at the birth if they were present? How did they interact with hospital staff, if you birthed at hospital, or other midwives if at a birth centre or at home?

I am thinking of getting one, as I'm thinking of having someone a little more experienced by my side at hospital this time, as i found that they pretty much left me to my own devices last time which was great, but it would be good to have someone there just for extra support. I also like the idea of helping out a student.

*please if you are a student midwife don't use my thread to advertise your availability, I just want to hear from people who have used student midwives*

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't as such. when i was in labour with DD1 i was asked if i minded having a student to be present through my labour and i said i didn't mind and honestly the student was so lovely and the midwife was horrible so i found myself rely on the student a lot more and she was a lot more supportive throughout the labour. i loved it and i wouldn't hesitate to have a student midwife again given the oppotunity

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tutu & Lulu For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am due in a few weeks to birth at home, and have a student midwife.

In my case, the student has had two labours herself, but I don't know if she's attended many, if any, other births, and I would say she's quite inexperienced. As I'll have another two midwives anyway (one for the labour, and the second one comes just before the pushing stage for back up just in case there is an emergency), it's neither here nor there to me, and I figure I'm more doing her a favour than the other way around, but people need to learn their trade somehow.

But if I was birthing in hospital, I would probably choose one with more experience or somebody I clicked with more as they could play a greater role due to the potential absence of a midwife for some part of the labour.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having a student midwife through mine although the student is my midwives daughter and I absolutely LOVE my middy. I had her through my last pregnancy too she is the best. I am having the student at my birth. She is also lovely and I hope she wants to get hands on as how else an she learn and become as good as her mum!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mum2mj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutu & Lulu View Post
    I haven't as such. when i was in labour with DD1 i was asked if i minded having a student to be present through my labour and i said i didn't mind and honestly the student was so lovely and the midwife was horrible so i found myself rely on the student a lot more and she was a lot more supportive throughout the labour. i loved it and i wouldn't hesitate to have a student midwife again given the oppotunity
    Similar to this, I was asked if I minded having a student midwife present during DS' birth. I was pretty hesitant at first but didn't need to be as she turned out to be WONDERFUL. I found her to be more encouraging than the older midwife and my Ob (not that they were nasty, but the student midwife just had a far more 'human' approach, I guess not as jaded from years & years of delivering babies!) Both DH and myself were really grateful to have her there as she explained things in a really calm and open manner. She was closer in age to myself and DH then the other midwives present and I found myself trusting her and feeling more relaxed, & very comfortable with her as a result. She was supportive yet firm when she needed to be too (for example, I wasn't pushing correctly, losing the plot and wasting energy etc... and she managed to help me regain my focus). We filled in a form and left absolutely glowing feedback for her when we checked out of hospital. I wouldn't hesitate to have one next time (throughout my whole pregnancy if I could).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have had them a few times. One was the best midwife i have ever had and one was the worst but she was only there for a min or 2 before she was pushed out the door by other midwifes. She yelled out that my baby was stuck and was going to die.

The best student midwife was at that same birth and she only left my side to arrange the op room and actually missed the delivery. I was super sad for her as it was one of those interesting births according to senior midwives.
    My last birth i had one too.

Overall i recommend having one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a student midwife and I can't recommend it highly enough! She was great. Initially I asked her because I wanted some continuity of care in the 'see whoever is on shift' public hospital system, but I was lucky enough to get into the midwife group practice partway through my pregnancy.

She came to almost all my appointments and was an amazing backup when I was in labour. She was just really supportive and it was great having her there when my midwife was in and out of the room. I think if you can find someone you click with it can be a great support.

I also liked having someone slightly less official than my actual midwife since I felt I could relate to get on a different level and talk with her about different things.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hyzenthley For This Useful Post:

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't buy my sister had one for part of her pregnancy (bub is almost 4 weeks old). I was her support person and the student midwife didn't even show up for any appointments etc so my sister decided she wasn't welcome at the birth. She was really unimpressed

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't yet, or rather I am in the process, one of my friends that I have known for about 12 years is studying and we have offered her to the birth.
    Will be subbing to see what others say :-)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbabailey For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm, seems about 50/50 so far. I'm sort of worried about the awkwardness of getting one, I don't know that I'd be assertive enough to say 'thanks but no thanks' if they're not the right fit.

Also at your crazy student midwife anewme!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub