+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I did not leave my DS overnight with anyone until 18m. I would have left him with DH, had I ever needed to. Say that, if you feel that you desperately need time out and have someone who you trust with them, go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope DS is 17 months old and he has never had a sleepover. I'm having a c section in a month and I'm thinking of having him sleepover his Nanna and Pops the night before so we aren't rushed in the morning and he loves spending time with them. Definitely not a newborn though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At what age are they no longer newborns?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I first left DD with my parents for a night at 12.5 months when DH and I both had really bad food poisoning and just couldn't take care of her. Couldn't have left her overnight much before that anyway as was breast feeding still overnight (and wouldn't have wanted to anyway!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    There would have to be very special circumstances for me to leave a newborn overnight - like if I was hospitalized or extremely Ill. It certainly wouldn't be to go out drinking. For a couple of hours here or there would be my limit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I had always understood the term to mean up to 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 2 year old and 1 year old and they've never stayed anywhere else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I always thought it was up to 3 months.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Nagari  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there's a broad spectrum here, and it kind of needs to be 'judged' (for want of a better word) on a case by case basis. Of course, if you are suffering PND, or it's an 'every so often' thing with a trusted relative, I think it's fine. Parents still need me time.

On the other hand, and I have known girls like this, there are the mothers that leave their kids with grandma every Saturday night and Sunday so they can go out and get drunk with their friends. In my opinion, they're my kids, it shouldn't be my mother's job to raise them.

I think when you become a parent, your priorities have to change. That doesn't mean never doing something for yourself, but if you'd rather party every weekend and dump your kids on your poor parents than spend time with them, we have a problem.

Also, I don't count it as 'leaving your kids with someone' when they are home with dad. He's their parent too.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesssalee For This Useful Post:

Bizzybee  (13-08-2012),VicPark  (13-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Err..never..my kids are almost 5, 3.5 and 1 and none of them have spent a night away from both parents..I had a weekend away from the boys when they were 3&4 and hubby fifo's so is away 2:2. Ive never been away from DD tbh I can't imagine wanting to be away from her or how she would cope without her boobies.

I'd be happy to have a night away from any child once they are night weaned which happens 2+ here. Personally I cbf stressing over expressing, worrying about them taking that random bottle, the hangover the next day yadda yadda, not worth it for me I'd much rather relax in a casual setting with a drink or 2 with the baby in tow.