Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    When is crying unemotional?
    When is a newborn child, who has no control over their limbs until the age of 4-5 months and therefore has no clue on how to stick a finger in the back of their throat, able to make themselves vomit for attention?
    How can a baby at the age of 5 months (or 6-7-8 months) think: "Hmmmmm I just received a software update that states that putting my finger in my throat, makes me vomit and that in turn, will make mum/dad come running"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes. So many people have misconceptions, dont understand the specifics ... That's why I'd like the specifics.
    About letting your child cry it out under 6 months of age, about giving your child a comforter against SIDS recommendations...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (14-08-2012),Mum2Ruairi  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My nephew sleeps from 11pm to 4am, having up to 8 wake ups in that time. I never knew 8 wake ups could fit into 5 hours! He is the most delightful little boy, not tired and cranky, he was born on the 40th percentile and at 15 months is on the 97th percentile so he is growing well. It takes all of us to be involved so we are all well rested and able to work and care for him. Some people need less sleep than others.
    Good to hear he is going well but that's not normal or healthy (esp. for the parents). Has your nephew got professional help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you seriously saying that your nephew and his entire family relationship was damaged by save our sleep...and absolutely nothing else?

My nephew was very damaged by it, and so was the relationship he has with his mother, and the relationship between his mother and his father. My brother was horrified but was pressured by hospital staff, his wife and her family. Then our family stepped in and said it is NOT damaging to let them feed and sleep how they need to rather than according to some one size fits all baby book, when the one thing we know about people is that no 2 people have the same feeding or sleeping schedule.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No, it's not controlled crying, it's cry it out, which I also mentioned in my post above.

Sleep, like crawling, sitting, teething, walking, talking, eating are all milestones that each baby reaches differently and at varying ages.Do you force your child to stand and walk? Do you force your child to sit unassisted? So why force your child to sleep at 8 weeks?
    Things can be spun by either side to help them prove their case. You say 'force to sleep.' I say Its not 'forcing' your child to sleep. It's giving them skills so they can sleep effectively.
    - If ladies on here bash parents that follow SOS, saying its wrong for them to 'force' a baby to sleep.. then could non-SOS'ers be called negligent for not giving heir child the skills to sleep effectively? See its how you spin it.

Analogies can also be used to 'prove' either side.
    - Do you just let your child be and hope they learn to tie their own shoe laces or do you show them a few times how it's done?
    - Do you plop your baby in a bouncer all day and just hope they will eventually teach themselves how to crawl? Or do you give them tummy time to help them along?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    It makes me wonder, if it had worked would you still be feeling so outraged?
    honestly? yes, because I had those thoughts at the back of my mind when i read it when i was pregnant.

in my opinion, if it had worked, then i imagine i wouldn't have had to deal with the crying and keeping him awake. if it had worked, then to me, that means that as soon as i put him into his new routine he would have adapted immediately, in which case i wouldnt have risked his mental health by teaching him a lesson.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Things can be spun by either side to help them prove their case. You say 'force to sleep.' I say Its not 'forcing' your child to sleep. It's giving them skills so they can sleep effectively.
    - If ladies on here bash parents that follow SOS, saying its wrong for them to 'force' a baby to sleep.. then could non-SOS'ers be called negligent for not giving heir child the skills to sleep effectively? See its how you spin it.

Analogies can also be used to 'prove' either side.
    - Do you just let your child be and hope they learn to tie their own shoe laces or do you show them a few times how it's done?
    - Do you plop your baby in a bouncer all day and just hope they will eventually teach themselves how to crawl? Or do you give them tummy time to help them along?
    Considering I have a 4 and 2 year old who've been asleep since 7:30, not likely to wake up until 6:30/7, I'd say they have learnt pretty well how to sleep without being left to cry.

Some children might need some help to learn how to sleep, but how do you know your child wouldn't do this in his own time, instead of being forced to at 8 weeks?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (13-08-2012),Hootenanny  (13-08-2012),Mum2Ruairi  (13-08-2012),share a book  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    About letting your child cry it out under 6 months of age, about giving your child a comforter against SIDS recommendations...
    'cry it out'.' I'm not even sure that is an accurate description. There are many options in the book surrounding protesting crying. There are even some options for parents that aren't really comfortable with crying.

You can get breathable comforters. I was given a comforter with a teddy head on it and wouldn't use it.

Parents need to use common sense with whatever they are 'following.'

And biased people need to stop giving 'expert' analysis on things they really haven't looked into that deeply: the chances of their bias influencing their analysis and just plain getting things wrong is too high.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can understand the need for sleep schools when parents are absolutely desperate, but ignoring your baby's cries as a newborn or even before the age of 6 months just because parents don't want their sleep interrupted is wrong. Even cc and CIO experts agree that 6 months is the minimum age.
    Many say 12 months.

No, it's not controlled crying, it's cry it out, which I also mentioned in my post above.

Sleep, like crawling, sitting, teething, walking, talking, eating are all milestones that each baby reaches differently and at varying ages.Do you force your child to stand and walk? Do you force your child to sit unassisted? So why force your child to sleep at 8 weeks?
    Walks like a duck, sounds like a duck...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you watch the video? I don't think tizzy has a problem with those blankets with a teddy head on it

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast