Closed Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Interesting point: out of my mothers group of 10 ladies 2 follow SOS. Our babies don't cry much at all and are happy. And sleep through the night. 5 mums (not SOS'ers) either have gone or are booked to go to sleep school with their bubs. Of the ones that have gone they have been taught various things which are in the SOS book but certainly arent unique to it. (get rid if dummies, put bub down awake, don't feed to sleep).

Not saying it works for everyone or the mums that go to sleep school are bad mums.

I will say however that the bashing on here is not impartial, fair or even informed. It is heavily biased: people that dont like schedules and are more suited to attachment parenting should never try SOS. At times the bashing is vindictive and bit?hy. It's the same with all the themes in here where there are vastly different philosophies; circumcision, abortion etc.

Whether you are a fan of the methodology or not at least acknowledge that it works for some. Pretty darned well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Manny  (13-08-2012),RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My child slept all night every night from day dot, I got up for feeds and toileting far more for my puppy than I ever had to for dd even the few times she was sick. I can count on one hand the times I have woken up to my daughter, and 90% of those times were through illness. She was never left alone to go to sleep by herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    That would be horrible to listen to. I couldn't do it, in my home or in my profession.
    It's not a horrible cry. Just a whinge. If you stand and watch bub (without them seeing) you can actually see them try to fall asleep ( eyes close then open etc). Its not horrible, if it was I would be the first to pull the plug.

And if folks are following SOS correctly bub shouldn't really whinge much after the first few days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am sorry to hear this. I have so much guilt over a I let my son cry himself to sleep without a dummy, because that's what the child health nurse said I should do! I'm pretty sure he's over it (was probably one year ago, when he was just one), but I'm scared with the memory of that event. I think there's a lot to say about mummy instinct. But also all babies are different, and what works for one may not work for another.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nobody knows the long-term effects! No research!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2Ruairi For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My child slept all night every night from day dot, I got up for feeds and toileting far more for my puppy than I ever had to for dd even the few times she was sick. I can count on one hand the times I have woken up to my daughter, and 90% of those times were through illness. She was never left alone to go to sleep by herself.
    What were your tricks? Different tactics work for different bubs.

I agree pets can be more work than bubbas (cats!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's not a horrible cry. Just a whinge. If you stand and watch bub (without them seeing) you can actually see them try to fall asleep ( eyes close then open etc). Its not horrible, if it was I would be the first to pull the plug.

And if folks are following SOS correctly bub shouldn't really whinge much after the first few days.
    My nephew was very damaged by it, and so was the relationship he has with his mother, and the relationship between his mother and his father. My brother was horrified but was pressured by hospital staff, his wife and her family. Then our family stepped in and said it is NOT damaging to let them feed and sleep how they need to rather than according to some one size fits all baby book, when the one thing we know about people is that no 2 people have the same feeding or sleeping schedule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah my cat was much more work than my baby!!!! mind you, my cat wasn't grumpy, haha! i don't know whats worse!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What were your tricks? Different tactics work for different bubs.

I agree pets can be more work than bubbas (cats!)
    Feed to sleep, follow her signs, keep her close, family room, no tricks. I was very lucky that I had a baby who was a routine bub, and I guess some naturally routine bubs would follow this without as much trouble as babes like my nephew who has less need for sleep and more food requirements than the average baby.

Thanks
    Reviews

They stop crying through learned helplessness - they stop crying and become a little bit detached.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (13-08-2012),elleandsam  (14-08-2012),headoverfeet  (14-08-2012),Laksa  (13-08-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast