Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I want to thank you for teaching me something. I thought the book was entirely useless, I have now learnt it makes great fire wood. Any one who sells a one size fits all approach to raising children needs a good kick up the butthole

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CottonCandy View Post
    The very next sentence says that it is very important to listen to the babies cry and if it becomes emotional than to go in.

I have read the book and plan to take elements from it when our bub arrives if they work for us. I think that it is very important to go in with an open mind and relate each book/advice to your situation. If it doesn't work for you, it also doesnt mean that the author is 'evil' or that permanent damage will be done.

I feel sorry for those parents who are so lost in a sleep deprive haze that the book is taken out of context- I imagine that would be easy to do, as with any book. I also think its sad that so many people think it is ok to 'Tizzie-bash' especially because this book has been so helpful for so many parents- what about those parents who are tearing their hair out because they have only heard incorrect things about the book so refuse to try it- when in reality it might be the thing that helps them?

I think it's only fair to comment on your own personal experience with the book. Please do not slag it off if you have not even read it! I feel awful for those mums that have tried it and had an awful experience with it- and think it is great for them to share and hopefully learn from others other alternatives if SOS isn't for you. But please don't bash it with incorrect information.
    Would love to know where it says to leave a child in a pooey nappy to 'teach it a lesson' because I imagine that has probably been taken out of context too.
    Sorry, but a 2 week old baby? The woman lost any credibility she had (if any) right there and then as soon as she wrote that!

A newborn is hard work, and should not be left alone in a room crying themselves to sleep (she does say be prepared for crying, but call it what you want if it makes you feel better) Disgusting!

And yes, I've read about the poo and vomit. Please explain how it is taken out of context!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 13-08-2012 at 19:02.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (13-08-2012),Gandalf  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CottonCandy View Post
    The very next sentence says that it is very important to listen to the babies cry and if it becomes emotional than to go in.

I have read the book and plan to take elements from it when our bub arrives if they work for us. I think that it is very important to go in with an open mind and relate each book/advice to your situation. If it doesn't work for you, it also doesnt mean that the author is 'evil' or that permanent damage will be done.

I feel sorry for those parents who are so lost in a sleep deprive haze that the book is taken out of context- I imagine that would be easy to do, as with any book. I also think its sad that so many people think it is ok to 'Tizzie-bash' especially because this book has been so helpful for so many parents- what about those parents who are tearing their hair out because they have only heard incorrect things about the book so refuse to try it- when in reality it might be the thing that helps them?

I think it's only fair to comment on your own personal experience with the book. Please do not slag it off if you have not even read it! I feel awful for those mums that have tried it and had an awful experience with it- and think it is great for them to share and hopefully learn from others other alternatives if SOS isn't for you. But please don't bash it with incorrect information.
    Would love to know where it says to leave a child in a pooey nappy to 'teach it a lesson' because I imagine that has probably been taken out of context too.

Let's support each other- not criticise each other.
    So how sure are you that you will stick with the book when bub actually arrives? Do you think you'll be strong enough to withstand hearing your newborn child crying out for his/her mum just because he/she needs you for a cuddle?
    Do not forget that your child has been with you 24/7 for 9 months and suddenly it gets ripped away and is expected to sleep through from day one, because mum can't handle the pressure.
    I'm keen to see how well the book will work for you once you actually have held your precious little bub in your arms.

Having a baby isn't an easy job. If people don't think they can handle sleep deprivation, than they should think again before having kids.

I have read the book and it SO went against every mothers instinct I had. I am usually a no-nonsense woman, but TZ's approach was too inhumane even for me.
    The thing that got to me the most was the part about vomiting babies who vomit attention. Physically this isn't really possible for little bubs unless they actually can manipulate their hand to stick their finger in the back of their mouth;
    Change the sheets, change the clothes, don't make any eye contact and don't say a word. Pretend the vomiting isn't getting at you. No matter how hard your bub cries while you're changing the linen, don't take him/her out of the cot and don't even try to pat her/him. Completely ignore bubs and all will be well.
    Errrrr yeah right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    to me, if my baby is crying then my baby is crying! whether its a protest or not, its still crying.
    she doesn't actually say that you should take from it what you want, she states the 'importance' of following the routines to a T!
    when i was pregnant i thought it seemed good, but unless you have had a baby before, you can't know what it's like to hear your baby cry and do nothing, whether its a 'protest' or not.
    i do think that if parents can stick to it and it makes their baby sleep then fine, but what have they sacrificed to get there and they don't know what the long-term implications could be.

In my opinion, anyone who states that you can win against your baby at something doesnt truly have your baby's best interests at heart; parenting is not a competition.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    First of all each to their own and if you don't want to follow SOS then thats your prerogative.

However it sounds like there are other issues at play: you're stressed, bub isn't a great sleeper, you in your heart don't believe in the methodology.

Considering that, and I don't mean I be rude, I wonder if you tried to implement the routine correctly. And that's ok if you didn't, I just think folks need to be honest about why something didn't work instead of just bagging it out.

Just a few common problems with implementing SOS (not saying all apply to you).
    - people don't read the book from cover to cover first and as a result make mess ups (eg implement the wrong settling advice for the wrong age group). Anyone who believes you simply leave your bub to cry themselves to sleep hasn't read the whole book.
    - some feed their babies to sleep instead of putting them down awakw
    - some don't use comforters which doesn't help. Or they use them at home but not when bub is sleeping in the pram/car etc.
    - Some don't implement the crying advice accurately. Never leave a baby with an emotional cry.
    - some start at the wrong time . Eg during a growth spurt or too early for their bub (I started at 8 weeks as I wanted bub to get through the 6 week growth spurt)
    - some don't give the routine enough time (it can take up to a week for things to fall into place).
    - some don't take into consideration their bub may have a medical condition (eg reflux)
    - some try the wrong routine and it is hard for bub to stay awake/go to sleep on schedule. If your bub is smaller they might need an earlier routine. If they are larger they might need an older routine.
    - people ignore the dreamfeed
    - some people don't use commonsense. If you are certain your bub is hungry (it's easy to confuse hungry with other things) then feed them. If they are having trouble adjusting to new sleep times try and slowly ease them into it (eg by going as close as you can before the tired signs start to go).

It doesn't work for some and it
    Works for others. My bub only ever cried a couple of times. Slept 8-9 hours from 7 weeks (bf) and 12 hours straight from about 3 months. He rarely cries from being tired/hungry. He self settles. Doesn't wake through the night.

Good luck.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Manny  (13-08-2012),RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by boobycino View Post
    she condones leaving a baby to fall asleep in a soiled nappy to teach them you won't play the game of changing their nappy if they poo once they are in bed.

The woman is not a kind person. To put it gently

sent from my gt-i9300 using bubhub
    wtf!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cotton candy - page 187-188 I believe. Somewhere thereabouts at least. I'm sure I can find a quote online.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When is crying unemotional?

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (14-08-2012),Ceili  (13-08-2012),CMF  (14-08-2012),elleandsam  (14-08-2012),Izy  (13-08-2012),Mod-Myztik  (13-08-2012),Mum2Ruairi  (13-08-2012),peanuthead  (14-08-2012),Sarelou  (14-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I refuse to read this book, purely based on the blurb at the back and from what I've read/heard about it!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast