Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Manny.. I think its great if it works for you and you trust it.
    I just wish i gave birth to a book of answers along with my baby!

I think TH should be acknowledging the fact that she has no research to prove that what she is saying has no lasting negative effect, especially since there is research out there which indicates that it may cause problems in later life.

Look, I guess anything ca be related to problems in later life, I'm just annoyed with myself that I caused my son a lot of unnecessary distress.

xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2Ruairi For This Useful Post:

Manny  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Never read her books as I knew they wouldn't be for me. Love your letter I hope you send it.

Big hugs I hope everything works out for you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That book had my SIL convinced my nephew was a naughty, disobedient, disrespectful and manipulative child. As an infant. I'm so sorry you feel into her deep, dark trap. SHE is the manipulative one, by tricking parents into believing her way is the right way and that if a baby does not behave in that way then the BABY is to blame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Please send it. My heart breaks when I hear a parent saying they they use it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (13-08-2012),Happy2be3  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great letter! I read the book last week after everyone in my mothers group were reading it and convinced me i needed to stick to the routine for benefits in tge future.

It took me 24hrs to realise I was doing all the right things all along, in trusting my instincts. The book wasn't for me. I have never had a tight schedule for myself like that. Sometimes I'm hungry at 4pm and sometimes I don't need food till 7pm. How can I say to my baby that he can only eat at certain times, not when he is hungry or thirsty?

I have been really lucky and have done demand feeding from the beginning and my little man is sleeping 9hrs at night! It's not always perfect but it works for us! It's so unrealistic to say if you stick to her routine your baby should rarely cry...rubbish!!

It can be so hard but...trust your instincts!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    I dont think she actually condones babies crying to sleep.
    I think she says to leave them for a period of time, say 10 minutes and then go in the room and let them know you are there, pat them, shush them etc. And once you walk in the room you are not to leave once they are asleep.
    She also says you will get to know the difference between protesting and distressed crying and does not advise you leaving a baby that is distressed.
    Actually, she does. She says to teach your 2 week old baby to sleep, to go and turn on kettle, make a tea and drink it, all the while your baby is crying.

It's in black and white on page 72!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (14-08-2012),NancyBlackett  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She also says never leave a baby if its more than protest crying

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babybumblebee For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    she condones leaving a baby to fall asleep in a soiled nappy to teach them you won't play the game of changing their nappy if they poo once they are in bed.

the woman is not a kind person. To put it gently

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (14-08-2012),Gandalf  (13-08-2012),Mod-Myztik  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And yeah I read the book when jasper was 6 weeks old and cried because I knew it wouldn't work and i had hoped it would SAVE MY SLEEP.

But I've kept my copy if ever I need to quote it to dissuade people from buying it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (13-08-2012),LoveHeart  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Actually, she does. She says to teach your 2 week old baby to sleep, to go and turn on kettle, make a tea and drink it, all the while your baby is crying.

It's in black and white on page 72!
    The very next sentence says that it is very important to listen to the babies cry and if it becomes emotional than to go in.

I have read the book and plan to take elements from it when our bub arrives if they work for us. I think that it is very important to go in with an open mind and relate each book/advice to your situation. If it doesn't work for you, it also doesnt mean that the author is 'evil' or that permanent damage will be done.

I feel sorry for those parents who are so lost in a sleep deprive haze that the book is taken out of context- I imagine that would be easy to do, as with any book. I also think its sad that so many people think it is ok to 'Tizzie-bash' especially because this book has been so helpful for so many parents- what about those parents who are tearing their hair out because they have only heard incorrect things about the book so refuse to try it- when in reality it might be the thing that helps them?

I think it's only fair to comment on your own personal experience with the book. Please do not slag it off if you have not even read it! I feel awful for those mums that have tried it and had an awful experience with it- and think it is great for them to share and hopefully learn from others other alternatives if SOS isn't for you. But please don't bash it with incorrect information.
    Would love to know where it says to leave a child in a pooey nappy to 'teach it a lesson' because I imagine that has probably been taken out of context too.

Let's support each other- not criticise each other.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CottonCandy For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)