Closed Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 186
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Vic Park IMO you had a low survival instincts baby your baby never screamed, likely without sleep training he would of slept through on his own anyway. My DS1 screamed every moment we tried CIO (even once we went to sleep school) this child in no way felt safe being left alone in his cave and that's cool because not that long ago it wasn't safe for humans babies to be left alone, I had a cave baby Vic Park has a modern baby, neither of us did anything wrong or special to get these babies it's just the luck of the draw. I'm pretty sure with a little encouragement DD would happily sleep the night away but I like having her close, nothing wrong with that.

    Tizzy Hall is as intelligent as 2 house bricks, last night I read about her telling people to swaddle their babies in car seats, using a houdini strap to secure them, houdini straps are designed to break on impact this would turn a baby with its arms swaddled and not secure in the straps properly into a missile- straight out the front window, might as well hold them in your lap. Of course she retracted her comments when several people pointed this out and she has removed the ability to buy a houdini strap for this purpose from her website. She is an idiot.
    My bubba screamed and cried heaps up until 8 weeks when I started SOS. I was obviously not on time with his feed and sleep signs!

    I agree some things I wouldn't do. Any parent who blindly follows anything someone else says without using their own brain is an idiot.

    No book/theory is 100% perfect and works 100% of the time for 100% of babies. Don't use a few obvious mess ups (Houdini strap) to rubbish the rest of it.

    Ps I like your analogy of modern and cave baby. I have this vision in my heads of the bubbas in cute little Flinstones outfits

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked
    74
    Reviews
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    You know what, there is no magic formula for getting your child to sleep, some do it from day dot others don't.

    Throw the books away, all of them, and follow your gut. Too hot, too cold, teething, reflux, hungry, thirsty, wet, dirty, uncomfortable, scared, annoying light in the room.... And in the end it's important to accept that no matter what you do not all babies sleep dusk til dawn.
    I agree. This is a seriously first world problem chat. We all love our babies and we can provide them with the necessities to ensure they thrive.

    Sleep deprivation is a form of torture. Most of us have been there. What sets the human race apart from animals is that we seem to turn on each other when we're being tortured instead of adopting a pack mentality and supporting the wounded (or tired!) pack member.

    If there was a textbook way to make them sleep, this thread wouldn't exist.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You have said in other threads you don't use her, now you say you do!

    LOL!

    I am not actually sure you can read properly. You seem to nitpick a tiny part of posts, and create an argument on that.
    Please find that thread, point it out and I will happily explain!

    Sorry I can't help it re the nitpicking. However You guys do make it easy for me with so many inaccuracies riddled in your biased posts.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    Or they are well informed mothers who understand that young babies need to be comforted and aren't supposed to be trained like dogs
    Trained like dogs. That shows how much you DONT know about SOS.

    Its about using average sleep/awake/feed times to help you so that bub doesn't have to cry for a feed or sleep.

    By your description can I assume that you never practice anything with your child? Never do things to help them walk, talk, read, ride a bike? Since training them like a dog is so bad....

    What I find funny is that half the things in SOS are in various articles on the net and in various other baby books.. Even the more hippyish ones (yes I did buy a few).

    I'll sit here and have a chuckle to myself knowing that y'all are most likely doing at least 1 or 2 things that SOS promotes

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    Manny  (14-08-2012)

  6. #165
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    6,465
    Thanks
    1,161
    Thanked
    2,532
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Trained like dogs. That shows how much you DONT know about SOS.

    Its about using average sleep/awake/feed times to help you so that bub doesn't have to cry for a feed or sleep.

    By your description can I assume that you never practice anything with your child? Never do things to help them walk, talk, read, ride a bike? Since training them like a dog is so bad....

    What I find funny is that half the things in SOS are in various articles on the net and in various other baby books.. Even the more hippyish ones (yes I did buy a few).

    I'll sit here and have a chuckle to myself knowing that y'all are most likely doing at least 1 or 2 things that SOS promotes
    Vicpark, I've read SOS. I absolutely understand what it tells parents to do. Don't assume that those of us who think that T.izzie is an idiot haven't actually read the rubbish she has compiled and put into a book.

    I teach or encourage all the things you mention when my children are ready, such as riding a bike ect....

    I wouldn't put my child on a bike and force them to ride "while they protest cried" just so they learnt how to ride a bike.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

    Ashram  (14-08-2012),elleandsam  (14-08-2012),MissMuppet  (14-08-2012),peanutmonkey  (14-08-2012),Tainted  (14-08-2012)

  8. #166
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirsty157 View Post
    Shouldn't you be reading it and applying what would work for you?? Just as you would if it was your mother giving you advice??
    Or are we all so unconfident in our parenting abilities that we follow blindly anything that we are told?
    Sorry if this offends but really? Do what works for you, however that turns out. Every child is different, something that works for one won't work for the next. It's all trial and error, don't bag someone out for trying to be helpful
    Actually the book says not to pick out just the bits you like, it says do it all or not at all.

    I am another who dislikes Tizzy (I would have been her worst nightmare - feeding to sleep until she weened at 20 mos then sitting on the couch patting and cuddling, but its all good now). That said, I am not attacking the mothers who use it, and I don't think anyone else is either. The problem is so many mums are unsupported in the early days, many have had little contact with babies at all until their own, who are being told that their baby should be sleeping through, should be putting themselves to sleep at an early age etc.
    It becomes overwhelming, moreso because you are exhausted and you stop trusting your instincts, because your instincts aren't working (evidenced by the fact that you feeling like you are losing your mind) and then some *expert* tells you those instincts are wrong in the first place.

    I also have a huge problem with Tizzy's misuse of words like manipulate. It is used in a very negative way when in fact a cry is a newborns only way of informing his/her caregiver that they are there, they have needs. In its most literal sense, yes they are trying to manipulate you, but only for their very survival, not because they want to stop you from watching True Blood.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

    Ceili  (14-08-2012),Mum2Ruairi  (14-08-2012)

  10. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Letter to Tizzie Hall

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    Vicpark, I've read SOS. I absolutely understand what it tells parents to do. Don't assume that those of us who think that T.izzie is an idiot haven't actually read the rubbish she has compiled and put into a book.

    I teach or encourage all the things you mention when my children are ready, such as riding a bike ect....

    I wouldn't put my child on a bike and force them to ride "while they protest cried" just so they learnt how to ride a bike.
    I believe you have read it. I also believe so are so clouded by your own personal bias that you have not really absorbed the underlying philosophies and can not be considered an independent assessor.

    It's like getting Hugh Hefner to judge a competition on women's personality and intelligence. Or getting a vegetarian to review the latest steakhouse in town.

  11. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I must be not understanding, you don't mean check on the every 2-5 minutes all through the night right??

    And also - re leaving baby unattended. Yeah, you can do that when you only have one. However - once you have more than one baby, sometimes you have to leave one alone for a little while, whilst you are attending to another.

    I know someone will get on and tell me their friends with quads or whatever didn't ever leave their babies ever, but that is what I found. I had to separate my twins into different rooms as one could sleep on his own and the other cried 24 hours a day 7 days a week, so yeah, sometimes they are were left to their own devices.
    Overnight? In a childcare centre? No, we only have them through the day. And by unattended, I mean they are never out of view. So they can see and hear us if we are changing another bub or they can be with us if we are feeding another bub.

  12. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dummies: 9 years ago SIDS And Kids stated that babies who have full access to the breast on demand are better to have that over a dummy, but babies who were unable to have unrestricted access to the breast were advised to use a dummy. That's what I went with. Not some book by someone with no children or formal wualifications, not to mention it wasn't around at that time.

  13. #170
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I believe you have read it. I also believe so are so clouded by your own personal bias that you have not really absorbed the underlying philosophies and can not be considered an independent assessor.

    It's like getting Hugh Hefner to judge a competition on women's personality and intelligence. Or getting a vegetarian to review the latest steakhouse in town.
    But YOU are above and beyond personal bias...?

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

    Ashram  (14-08-2012),Blue Dragon  (14-08-2012),Ceili  (14-08-2012),SeymourTheBear  (14-08-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Tizzie Hall routine questions
    By lovesushi in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22-03-2013, 12:04
  2. Tizzie Hall Routine Help
    By mezzee in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-04-2012, 21:38
  3. Save our sleep by tizzie hall
    By Mrs Summer in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 13-12-2011, 06:50

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!