Closed Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I bet there are some things in common. Eg:
    - night bedtime routine ? (bath, massage, book, feed, we have a kissy poo song we sing)
    - kisses and cuddles before being placed in the cot?
    - comforter?

I'm sure there's at least something in common!
    She never had a dummy or blanket or anything, she had the boob and that was her source of comfort and food. She never had a cot and our stories have been mainly read in the mornings rather than part of the bed time routine. I honestly only put a baby to bed in a cot in my home once I started childcare from home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all 7 pages of replies as bub will finish nursing before I can, but don't pretty much all health professionals recommend NOT to leave your baby to cry until at LEAST 6 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    VicPark, it sounds like your baby didn't cry much at all using this and only whinged? Is that correct? In that case I would be comfortable using it because it sounds like the routine fit in with what your bub needed. I can understand where you're coming from. You sound like an intelligent person who used the book to work for you instead of going against your own beliefs.

I think for me it wouldn't have worked as DS had reflux and I couldn't not go to him when he cried. Even now I still feel a need to go comfort him or he comes to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought SOS on the recommendation of a friend when my bub was 4 months old and used the section on introducing solids as a guide to what order to introduce certain foods. I hated the idea of the regimented feeding & sleeping times though! We tried to use Tizzie's controlled comfort methods a few nights during a phase when DD wouldn't settle unless fed to sleep and I found it too heartbreaking listening to her crying. I was fighting against instinct, hormones, everything. DH wanted to persist longer with it but I would've been a basket case. In the end I went to the library, read a range of other books, and followed what felt best for us and our child. We were able to develop a solid bedtime 'routine' without the crying.

One book that really resonated with me was called 'Helping your Baby to Sleep' by Anni Gethin & Beth Macgregor. It's full of common sense, responsive ideas and it critiques other methods as well: the polar opposite of Tizzie's book

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter tonight is in my bed, as is the cat. The dog isn't, he is in my mum's bed at her house along with her dog and her cat. My nephew is in bed with his parents and their dog is on the end of their bed too. Family beds for all of us now since my SIL saw how harmful it was for my nephew and for the relationships between each of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    She never had a dummy or blanket or anything, she had the boob and that was her source of comfort and food. She never had a cot and our stories have been mainly read in the mornings rather than part of the bed time routine. I honestly only put a baby to bed in a cot in my home once I started childcare from home.
    No dummy... We have that in common. I believe dummy's hamper a child's ability to self settle as they cause sleep association problems and night wakings. Tizzie advises against dummies too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    VicPark, it sounds like your baby didn't cry much at all using this and only whinged? Is that correct? In that case I would be comfortable using it because it sounds like the routine fit in with what your bub needed. I can understand where you're coming from. You sound like an intelligent person who used the book to work for you instead of going against your own beliefs.

I think for me it wouldn't have worked as DS had reflux and I couldn't not go to him when he cried. Even now I still feel a need to go comfort him or he comes to me.
    Yeah my bub only really whinged (protested) a bit the first few nights. For me it's all about the routines and preparation (bedtime routine, spacing sleeps/feeds appropriate for bub) so that bub doesn't need to cry when hungry/going to bed.

If my bubba had reflux I would have done what you did .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    SOS presumes all babies have similar emotional response to being put in their cot. Some babies do grizzle and fall asleep. Some babies scream their hearts out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by goldcoastmumofone View Post
    I bought SOS on the recommendation of a friend when my bub was 4 months old and used the section on introducing solids as a guide to what order to introduce certain foods. I hated the idea of the regimented feeding & sleeping times though! We tried to use Tizzie's controlled comfort methods a few nights during a phase when DD wouldn't settle unless fed to sleep and I found it too heartbreaking listening to her crying. I was fighting against instinct, hormones, everything. DH wanted to persist longer with it but I would've been a basket case. In the end I went to the library, read a range of other books, and followed what felt best for us and our child. We were able to develop a solid bedtime 'routine' without the crying.

One book that really resonated with me was called 'Helping your Baby to Sleep' by Anni Gethin & Beth Macgregor. It's full of common sense, responsive ideas and it critiques other methods as well: the polar opposite of Tizzie's book
    I'm not necessarily saying this happened with you but a common mistake is people take one part of SOS (the settling part) and try to do just that. It's not going to work effectively unless you've done all the preparation. If you haven't spaced the sleeps and feeds appropriately, established a solid bedtime routine , fed in a quiet room, used a comforter with your smell then of course trying to just use the settling advice is going to go pear shaped.

A lot of bagging on here is unjustified: it comes from people who haven't read the whole book or are just straight out implementing SOS incorrectly.
    - It's like me bagging a diet book when i only read the 1 page about not eating chocolate.
    - Me "but I don't eat chocolate, and im still fat. This book sucks!"
    - Hubby: "but you eat a Big Mac every day, which was listed as a big no-no on page 2 which you did not read"
    (hypothetical, hubby would never comment on my weight).
    Last edited by VicPark; 14-08-2012 at 07:09.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    SOS presumes all babies have similar emotional response to being put in their cot. Some babies do grizzle and fall asleep. Some babies scream their hearts out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    What page did you get that from? And how is it different from the orher books on the market?

A baby shouldn't need to cry their heart out if the bub is healthy and appropriate prep is done.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post: