Closed Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Considering I have a 4 and 2 year old who've been asleep since 7:30, not likely to wake up until 6:30/7, I'd say they have learnt pretty well how to sleep without being left to cry.

Some children might need some help to learn how to sleep, but how do you know your child wouldn't do this in his own time, instead of being forced to at 8 weeks?
    Good to hear! Few babies that are introduced to SOS need to cry as well! Fancy that!

I'm going to ignore the 'force' comment ... No point arguing that point with someone who is obviously biased.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good to hear! Few babies that are introduced to SOS need to cry as well! Fancy that!

I'm going to ignore the 'force' comment ... No point arguing that point with someone who is obviously biased.
    Well the difference is that my children know I will go to them

No point trying to argue about forcing because there's no comeback it IS forcing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I try my very hardest to stay out of the T.Hall threads but this one keeps popping up in new posts.

I loathe anything that this UNQUALIFIED woman spews from her mouth. She goes against SIDS recommendations in her pathetic advice on how to "teach" a newborn to sleep. Wrapping the poor little babies in layer upon layer??? No wonder they sleep!!! The probably pass out from dehydration.

I strongly disagree with any CIO method, especially when it's coupled with dangerous advice about over swaddling your baby.

OP, I think your letter is wonderful. I'm so glad that you cottoned on to the fact that the advice is rubbish.
    Last edited by Jakois; 13-08-2012 at 21:19.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Mum2Ruairi  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Are you seriously saying that your nephew and his entire family relationship was damaged by save our sleep...and absolutely nothing else?
    By one parent being 100% for and the other parent being 100% against, and a baby who was very sensitive to start with. I'm not saying all would have been that way, but yes, for my nephew it deeply affected him, the relationship he now has with his mum, the relationship his parents have with one another, and basically those all around them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I haven't read the book at all. And some of the stuff sounds horrifically bad - the stuff about babies that vomit.

Having said that - I really don't think it is fair to insinuate that mothers who did the control crying method are somehow heartless child abusers who enjoy the sounds of their baby crying.

Seriously - come on guys - we get it, you don't do it and it worked for you etc. Lets save the spite for awful neglectful parents yeah?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

CottonCandy  (13-08-2012),Manny  (13-08-2012),VicPark  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    at risk of sounding very silly, can someone give me a brief rundown of the abbreviations used in these forums??
    i can guess some of them but wouldn't want to embarrass myself..!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2Ruairi For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I haven't read the book at all. And some of the stuff sounds horrifically bad - the stuff about babies that vomit.

Having said that - I really don't think it is fair to insinuate that mothers who did the control crying method are somehow heartless child abusers who enjoy the sounds of their baby crying.

Seriously - come on guys - we get it, you don't do it and it worked for you etc. Lets save the spite for awful neglectful parents yeah?
    I don't feel that way at all, I am just sorry that these books undermine parents and trick them into believing they have a baby who is doing the wrong thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think CIO might be cry it out??

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Ruairi View Post
    at risk of sounding very silly, can someone give me a brief rundown of the abbreviations used in these forums??
    i can guess some of them but wouldn't want to embarrass myself..!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well, I haven't read the book - so it doesn't apply to me. But I have CC a child, I have 4 and with two of them I held them and cuddled them till they slept, with another he just slept and with the one I CC'd, I had a nanny at the time and she insisted. I was a wreck and just went along with it. I dont' think I would have been able to do it if she wasn't there telling me not to go to him etc. But at the end of the day - I now have 4 amazing sleepers, and he doesn't seem any different - in terms of psychological damage than my other 3.

Yeah - I can totally see how it won't work for everyone, and I can see why people don't want to do it. But honestly, some of the things being said in this thread are down right rude. Not just to Tizzie hall followers- but to anyone who didn't cradle their baby to sleep/feed to sleep etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I don't feel that way at all, I am just sorry that these books undermine parents and trick them into believing they have a baby who is doing the wrong thing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (13-08-2012),VicPark  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Ruairi View Post
    honestly? yes, because I had those thoughts at the back of my mind when i read it when i was pregnant.

in my opinion, if it had worked, then i imagine i wouldn't have had to deal with the crying and keeping him awake. if it had worked, then to me, that means that as soon as i put him into his new routine he would have adapted immediately, in which case i wouldnt have risked his mental health by teaching him a lesson.

xx
    Whether it worked or not, you said yourself you read it and it didn't sit right with you. Thats the most important thing here I think- you knew it wasn't for you. Im sorry out of desperation you tried it and it was a horrible experience. And you should be able to tell others about your experience without a sledge fest breaking out.

I read it, and (most of) it did sit right with me. So we may try it and see how we go. We may hate it or we may love it. But either way I shouldn't be told that I'm a bad parent for doing what I think is right, just as you should be respected for giving something a try and admitting it wasn't right for you.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CottonCandy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-08-2012),Manny  (13-08-2012),RubySunrise  (13-08-2012),VicPark  (13-08-2012)