+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How has DH surprised you as a parent

Watching my DH crawling around the floor pretending to be a tiger for 15 month old DS, I started thinking about what has surprised me about DH since he became a parent:

1. A new social butterfly. I am the main breadwinner and so DH is a SAHD. We live in Singapore where SAHDs are very rare. Mothers' groups (both local and expat) refused to let him join in (they also refused to let my mum take DS along as she is too old apparently!) and some women blank him or are downright rude to him at playgrounds etc. He is naturally shy so I worried that DS would lose out on meeting other kids but DH has suddenly become a social butterfly. He just keeps on being friendly and chatting to everyone and DS is now a very friendly soul too. Completely surprised me.

2. New priorities. When I first found out I was pregnant, I had to switch to a lower paid but more mother friendly job. In spite of this, DH kept going on and on about some new fancy wheels he wanted for our car. He never stopped talking about them. I began to get really worried that he just didn't get that our priorities were going to have to change and spending money on wheels just because they looked nice was not an option! Silly things like this carried on throughout pregnancy but then as soon as Bub was born it all stopped. His priorities changed and he never hassles me about stuff that he knows we would struggle to afford.

3. His natural parenting ability. Ok, so he's not super nanny and is terrible at getting DS down for naps. He also lets DS do things that would make most Mum's shiver but he'd barely held a baby before DS. I had to go back to work when DS was only 3 months old and DH has completely risen to the challenge. He can change a nappy in seconds, cooks home-cooked meals every day, plays for hours with DS and never leaves the house without a perfectly equipped man bag.

So what has surprised you about your DH or bub's father since he became a parent?

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He's suddenly learned to play.

I was woken up yesterday by him yelling in the loungeroom, and DD yelling back, as well as screaming, thumping, and loud banging sounds.

Of course I rushed out there not knowing what on earth was going on.

And I walked straight into a Sith VS Jedi lightsaber duel. Which, judging by the footprints on my kitchen bench and the dogs going nuts outside, had already made it's way through both loungerooms, outside, the kitchen and the bathroom.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Amira  (13-08-2012),ChickyBee  (13-08-2012),Justwant2beamummy  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH's incredible patience with DS has surprised me. He can be a little hot-headed, but with DS he is just amazing (unfortunately it's usually me losing my patience, so I really need to take a leaf out of his book).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That he actually says to DS "I love you" more then I do!!
    That he changes poo nappies with out complaining.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH is the hard @ss, and I'm the softie! I was absolutely certain it would be the other way around, but I'm the sucker and he's the law maker.
    I guess I'm more like my dad than I thought lol. He was always the calm, quiet one and mum was the disciplinarian.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My situation is a little different as I repartnered and I'm not even married so technically my DP isn't even a stepdad. He has, however, surprised me because he went from long-term bachelorhood to looking after us both so well.

He has never complained that DS is hard work or that things are tough or he wishes I didn't come as a packaged deal.

He often cares for DS while sick if I have to work. If I go out he's more than happy to stay home with DS, tucks him in, gives him dinner, hangs out with him and makes sure everything is done like teeth brushed, clean pyjamas on and wee before bed.

He tells me that he wants a daughter because 'we already have a boy'.

He's just a sweetheart and I'm glad DS finally has such a great male role model.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    DH is the hard @ss, and I'm the softie! I was absolutely certain it would be the other way around, but I'm the sucker and he's the law maker.
    Exactly the same here!!! DP is usually so laid back, never raises his voice, never in a hurry, nothing phases him, whereas I'm a huge stress head and like to control everything. And yet it's DP always saying "hop down off there! Be careful of that!" and i usually have to say "oh... I let him do that all the time" I am also always getting in trouble for laughing when DS does something naughty. I used to be so tough, what happened to me??

Oh, not at all surprising: Dad jokes DP has always been a master of bad puns and weak jokes, now he just thinks he has an excuse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He hasn't really surprised me as i always thought he would make an excellent father as he does, he is caring, patient, loving and also good at being a disciplinarian without being too harsh or unfair. He cleans all spew if he is home (because he knows i hate it), he changes nappies, gives bathes, prepares meals, helps at night - all the stuff a parent should do.
    I do get a bit of a kick how of seeing him play tea party or dolls with DD's, very sweet.