+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    My counsellor had a bit of a different attitude to yours CMF but I do wonder whether this is because my ex has actually harmed DS (exposure to certain things and emotionally - hence why he only has visits when he is with his mum).

The last thing I want is for him to not love his dad or for him to know what his dad is truly like.

I just need to not hear about him because it gives me the shakes, makes me anxious, and quite frankly he scares me. Not sure how much longer I can keep up the positivity before I snap TBH.
    Well then I would trust your counsellor as they obviously know the details of your situation. Sounds horrible though.
    Is this counsellor for you or for your DS? Have you had a counsellor give you any tips on how YOU can cope with this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only advice I can give (I was a child and parents broke up) is don't talk about your ex in a bad way to your child... It was something my mum did and it really affected me. I have grown up now and can see how selfish my dad can be at times (he has only had negative comments about my pregnancy, and only ever had negative comments about one of my exs) but when I was a kid I thought he was the bees knees and threatened to move in with him whenever my mum upset me. I was 10+ at the time. My dad had this unspoken rule of not talking about mum in his house but whenever I had something bad to say about her or her partner of the time, he encouraged it... I can see now how badly these two relationships affected my life and how it was shaped.

All I say is just let your kid go on about it, and even though it can be upsetting, let him have his hero and find a supportive friend who is more than happy to listen to you have a cry about this. Or try to explain that mummy and daddy aren't friends because daddy hurt mummy a while ago...

Hope this helps and sending lots of love and hugs :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Well then I would trust your counsellor as they obviously know the details of your situation. Sounds horrible though.
    Is this counsellor for you or for your DS? Have you had a counsellor give you any tips on how YOU can cope with this?
    He was for DS, he did tell me a few tips on when to call docs and how to handle things if they went really bad but it was just a very quick freebie after hours appointment. I have no time to seek help for either DS or myself because I have to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs Benji. It's one of those ****ful situations that is completely unfair and you are doomed if you do and doomed if you don't.

Vicpark had a good idea that might help a little, I have nothing but a hug. Hope you are ok.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Benji  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mother told me when I had DD that no matter what I did, Daddy would always be the hero, and it's so true. Sigh. I do all the hard yards, and go a bit nutsy every now and then, but as soon as FOB is around, the hero worship sets in. She only turned 4, so it isn't too hard yet, but I have seen it in other kids...even the ones who don't know their Fathers at all. My best friend's daughter around this age had a total fantasy imaginary life about a man she had never met, not even seen a picture of, or knew his name. But he was amazing and she was going to run off to live with him in a caravan. I remember when we were little we used to sit out the front and wait for our rich parents to come and get us, and tell us we'd been adopted by trolls..so a little bit of a fantasy life for kids is normal.

I think the book idea is great...it would be so hard to hear all of it. It's a hard thing to live. Take it one day at a time. This is just another horrible part of being a single parent. There are so many. But so much smiling and nodding and grinding of teeth. Maybe work on a list of positive things that FOB does, no matter how small. The times when he has visited his son, etc. so you can have those in mind and not think about the bad when your son is speaking about him. Write down the bad, take them to your counsellor, and do as much as you can to keep him out of your life. Work on those away from your son, and the positive with your son. I know we have code words for FOB...we call him Brad Pitt, so we can talk about him in front of DD..It'll be something like "Brad Pitt stole money out of Angelina's wallet again...can you believe it?" Maybe give him a fake name, and think of him that way. I don't know, it helps me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    He was for DS, he did tell me a few tips on when to call docs and how to handle things if they went really bad but it was just a very quick freebie after hours appointment. I have no time to seek help for either DS or myself because I have to work.
    I wish I had a magic solution for you....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh yes, his dad will always be the hero. I'm the mean mummy who makes kids eat vegies and brush their teeth and go to school. So awful, I know

I don't even mind that he thinks of his father as a hero. I remember telling my dad that I wanted a new mum because she was so mean all because he was a softie who would let me eat lollies all day and never said no to me.

I do like the book idea - I have no intention to stop him from feeling certain things about his dad, I just need to not hear about it 24/7 as it's too triggering. He just finished from a visit so I'm feeling on edge but the good news is I won't have to deal with this for a few months, maybe more.

ROFL at the caravan! How cute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I wish I had a magic solution for you....
    You and the other members have been very helpful I don't think there is a magic solution to make it go away but you've all helped me immensely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    your son has a lifetime ahead of him to know what his father is really like, its hard but every time he talks about how great his dad is try and just keep telling yourself it's his innocence talking and before you know it your little man is going to be all grown up and will know how hard/tough and unfair life really is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmum2012 View Post
    before you know it your little man is going to be all grown up and will know how hard/tough and unfair life really is.
    I know I really hope he never learns the truth TBH.