+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    i actually think that with everything we know about the complexity, creativity and ingenuity of evolution,
    You can really credit such complexity and creativity and ingenuity to no designer? To a blind accident with no intelligence behind it? Would you apply that same logic to anything other than evolution?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will also add that I'm shocked and disturbed to be frank by the garbled understanding demonstrated by the finch example.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomie View Post
    I agree. Evolution has never been observed. It is just a theory.
    I have been to many churches in my time and none of them have accepted biological evolution. If you believe in God, why would you believe that He would waste his time starting us out as monkeys? When people say this, I wonder how they could insult God like that. He has endless power. There is no reason He couldn't of created everything as it was in 6 days. Saying otherwise seems insulting.
    I wasn't going to bite but there is just too much miss information been sprouted that as a scientist I feel I must comment.

Firstly it's important to understand exactly what a scientific theory is, that is "a well substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment". The meaning of theory is science is very different from the common usage of theory.

Secondly no scientist believes humans started out as monkeys, rather we share a common ancestor as we do with all known life on earth. By the way our closest living relatives are apes not monkeys.

Thirdly evidence for evolution has been observed.

I accept your right to believe as you wish, but please don't use lies and untruths to support your position.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-12-2012),JohnC  (11-12-2012),MissMuppet  (11-12-2012),Witwicky  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    You can really credit such complexity and creativity and ingenuity to no designer? To a blind accident with no intelligence behind it? Would you apply that same logic to anything other than evolution?
    You just argued that it's meaningless?

And yes, if you actually understood how evolution works, which you've demonstrated with the finch example that you don't, then you will see it's a process of trial and error requiring no input from any originating point.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I apologise for the intrusion but I can not let wrong information be posted about a subject that I care very deeply about.

I agree. Evolution has never been observed. It is just a theory.
    So is gravity - I assume you're sitting down?
    Science uses the word "theory" in such circumstances because there is always room for the information we have to be challenged. However in the instance of evolution, given the thousands of peer reviewed papers, reproducible evidence and observable facts allow me to quote from Professor Dawkins "we are as sure about evolution as we are that the earth revolves around the sun".

I have been to many churches in my time and none of them have accepted biological evolution.
    Of course not, Evolution contradicts the Bible. That's like saying I have been to many mosques and non of them have accepted Jesus Christ as their saviour.

If you believe in God, why would you believe that He would waste his time starting us out as monkeys? When people say this, I wonder how they could insult God like that. He has endless power. There is no reason He couldn't of created everything as it was in 6 days. Saying otherwise seems insulting.
    Evolution does not say that humans started as monkeys. Never has done.

To disbelief observable, reproducible scientific fact seems rather odd.

I am very likely going to be accused of being rude or a bully to barge in on a topic about Christianity, however, I will reserve my right to correct misinformation and I have done so without insulting or attacking anyone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    the emergence of a new species is not some sort of giant step - it's a gradual process of alterations.

Years of gradual changes lead to a different species emerging. "Species" is a human term for classification purposes.

If you concede that evolution produces alterations, it's nonsensical to claim that this process somehow stops short of producing significant change.

It's also illogical and meaningless to claim that if scientists cant mutate new species, then an 'unintelligent' process like evolution can't.

Scientists can't create super nova, black holes, and all sorts of natural phenomena.

And yet, lo -

they exist.
    I dont think so and you seemed to have missed my point (as ill prob miss yours too!

All it shows is that belief in evolution and science is a giant leap of faith in man and one that fits in with ones ideals and beliefs rather than fact - as macroevolution hasnt been replicated or observed. Its a giant leap of faith that they have got it right. Humans dont have the best track record im afraid.

This could be argued for eons. So i guess you either put your faith in man (an animal that magically evolved) if u dont believe in God, or you put your faith in God.

I dont want to offend anyone here so i think ill bow out and unsubscribe as i have very strong opinions on this subject

Have a nice evening all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both the fossil record and modern research support the idea that the fundamental categories of plants and animals have changed little over vast periods of time.
    Allowing for "vast periods time" is in fact a key part of understanding evolution, since speciation requires timescales of hundreds of thousands of years, at least. Scientists are not going to produce or observe new vertabrate species in a hundred or a thousand years.

And it is simply wrong to say the "fundamental categories" (biblical kinds) of plants and animals are unchanged in the fossil record. Mammals? Flowering plants (and of course honey bees)? Bony fish? Primates? Bats (although the Bible classifies bats as birds)? Cetaceans?
    Last edited by JohnC; 11-12-2012 at 15:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You just argued that it's meaningless?

And yes, if you actually understood how evolution works, which you've demonstrated with the finch example that you don't, then you will see it's a process of trial and error requiring no input from any originating point.
    Sorry it was a question should have started with 'can you'....can you honestly state that something that you freely admit is complex, creative and genuis, had no intelliegent thought process or designer behind it?

Does anyone really "understand" how evolution works? Really? The link that atroops provided said what i did about the finches, that they were still finches who merely adapted to their environment, pretty clever!

Anyway im off, this will just go around in circles and my 2 year old just woke up

Night all x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Question for Christians?

All it shows is that belief in evolution and science is a giant leap of faith in man and one that fits in with ones ideals and beliefs rather than fact - as macroevolution hasnt been replicated or observed.
    http://www.pnas.org/content/105/23/7899.abstract

Sorry, but macro evolution HAS been observed, and replicated.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question for Christians?

I am one of Jehovahs Witnesses and all over the world you can contact the local congregation of Jehovahs Witnesses and they will happily have someone come and study the bible with you. It's free of charge oF course and there is many bible aids available to better understand. You can use your own bible for the study or they will be happy to provide you with one. All the teachings come from the Bible. There is also a website but pm me for the details as I'm not sure if I'm allowed by bub hub rules to link it. The website also has lots of info to study.