Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Question for Christians?

I agree entirely justwanttobeamummy

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Question for Christians?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    If it was so obvious that Jesus had replaced the entire Mosaic law, why did Paul have to argue so vigorously with the other apostles that Christians should be exempt from the specific laws on circumcision and diet?
    Because he knew how hard it would be to convert non believers if it was made too hard for them! ( most grown men I know would not give up their foreskin or their bacon!)

OP, not a Christian but just to add from a Jewish perspective the original Torah (old testament) was written in a way that had to be interpreted with the oral law ( Tanakh) which was passed on from generation to generation so you could understand the Torah better- eg: an eye for an eye did not mean you take my eye I'll take yours, it means you do something to me I want compensation from you (usually money)

Christians however do not read it with the Tanakh so some take it literally which in most part it is not, plus as pp said the times when it was written were violent, horrible and dangerous so the Hebrew laws do seem strict but had to be at the time, thankfully most jews alter the Tanakh to keep up the current times

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Because he knew how hard it would be to convert non believers if it was made too hard for them! ( most grown men I know would not give up their foreskin or their bacon!)
    Agreed, it was indeed a pragmatic decision rather than some grand theological dispensation. So while it is clear Christians do not need to practice circumcision or forsake pork and shellfish, the status of much else in the Old Testament is unclear and remains a matter of contest between the myriad factions of Christians today.

Just on the Jewish terminology. Tanakh refers to the Jewish Bible ie Masoretic text. Talmud is the name for the oral teaching. Torah is the first five books (the Pentateuch, or books of Moses) though it can have a broader meaning in some contexts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe the law was fulfilled.

We were given two more laws under the new covenant. To love one another and to love the Lord God with all our hearts mind and soul. If one was to do these in faith, one then shares in Christ's perfect fulfillment of the law.

Thanks
    Reviews

My Mums church prefer to follow the ORIGINAL diet given to man.... Plants, fruit, seeds, vegetables. In genesis God did not give Adam and Eve meat to eat... Only plant foods.

Personally I tend to agree with this choice... I mean, I'm pretty sure God did not initially create animals for us to eat them, use or abuse them. They were to be company on the earth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    My Mums church prefer to follow the ORIGINAL diet given to man.... Plants, fruit, seeds, vegetables. In genesis God did not give Adam and Eve meat to eat... Only plant foods.

Personally I tend to agree with this choice... I mean, I'm pretty sure God did not initially create animals for us to eat them, use or abuse them. They were to be company on the earth.
    This would make sense if you take the mythologies about the Garden of Eden as a historical and scientific account of how life on Earth developed. Such a belief may have been possible in the 18th century, but not today. Modern biology makes such a position totally untenable.

In particular, we know that the move by our primate ancestors to meat-eating around 2 million years ago was a crucial step in the brain growth that distinguishes the earliest species of Homo (habilis and erectus) from their australopithecine ancestors.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    This would make sense if you take the mythologies about the Garden of Eden as a historical and scientific account of how life on Earth developed. Such a belief may have been possible in the 18th century, but not today. Modern biology makes such a position totally untenable.

In particular, we know that the move by our primate ancestors to meat-eating around 2 million years ago was a crucial step in the brain growth that distinguishes the earliest species of Homo (habilis and erectus) from their australopithecine ancestors.
    Ok.... But no Christian would ever believe that the world was made by God over 2 million years ago....OR that we evolved from primates.... You either believe the big bang and evolution theory or you believe that the bible was and is the inspired word of God.

Thanks
    Reviews

The bible doesnt give the creation account of the earth itself but rather the creation and preperation of the earth for human habitation, which some christians believe took place over perhaps thousands of years of time "periods" or "days"

It begins with "in the beginning God created the heavens and earth" suggesting they had been around for sometime prior to the Genesis creative account

Many christians i know of believe the earth itself could very well be millions of years old, the bible doesnt say specifically

Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 11-12-2012 at 12:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    But no Christian would ever believe that the world was made by God over 2 million years ago....OR that we evolved from primates ...
    Ummm ... most Christians accept biological evolution, that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, and indeed the findings of science in general. This includes the Catholic Church and virtually all mainline Protestant denominations. It's true that some evangelical Christians hold to a biblical literalist position, particularly in the US, but these can hardly be said to represent the main******.

You may want to check out the Biologos Foundation, which is a high-profile evangelical Christian organisation that tries to educate fellow Christians about the compatibility of their faith with modern science.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    The bible doesnt give the creation account of the earth itself but rather the creation and preperation of the earth for human habitation, which some christians believe took place over perhaps thousands of years of time "periods" or "days"

It begins with "in the beginning God created the heavens and earth" suggesting they had been around for sometime prior to the Genesis creative account

Many christians i know of believe the earth itself could very well be millions of years old, the bible doesnt say specifically

So I guess it depends how you interpret heavens and earth. I take that (as do all the Christians I know) to mean space and the planet (earth)....

Anyway, surely no Christians believe God created Adam and Eve as Apes and humans have evolved to be the way we are today over millions of years??