+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    That would be fine except nobody agrees on which Old Testament laws Jesus rendered inapplicable. Ten Commandments? Prohibition on homosexuality? Virtually the entire social agenda of conservative Christians is based on Old Testament prohibitions, not the Gospels.

There are plenty of statements by Jesus that would indicate he believed most if not all the Mosaic laws still held, and he was supplementing not replacing these with additional commandments.

The relevance for this thread is that clearly you cannot just say Christians must follow all the Bible, which is what was suggested.

Anything that that still applied was re stated. The scriptures clearly say in the Greek scriptures that Jesus made a new covenant and the mosaic law was obsolete

Yes many elements of the 10 commandments were actually re stated in the new testament such as the law on loving God and neighbor, fornication, adultery, murder, stealing, honoring parents etc. Thats how we know they were a part of the new covenant. New requirements or commandments were also stated that apply right up till our time which Jesus spoke of also. But for example the Sabbath keeping was not along with many other laws and practices from the old testament that were no longer relevant or necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Anything that that still applied was re stated. The scriptures clearly say in the Greek scriptures that Jesus made a new covenant and the mosaic law was obsolete

Yes many elements of the 10 commandments were actually re stated in the new testament such as the law on loving God and neighbor, fornication, adultery, murder, stealing, honoring parents etc. Thats how we know they were a part of the new covenant. New requirements or commandments were also stated that apply right up till our time which Jesus spoke of also. But for example the Sabbath keeping was not along with many other laws and practices from the old testament that were no longer relevant or necessary.
    Not a bad way to live Christian or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Of course the question is: which teachings? Consider the following child-rearing advice from Deuteronomy 21:
    Found this in regards to this passage, correcting the assumption that it was a young child

The “son” in this case was not a young child but was old enough to be a “glutton and a drunkard.” (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) Further, his parents had repeatedly warned him, but he would “not listen to them.”

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Hey There,

So I found God, well he wasn't exactly lost its more that I was lost.

My problem isn't so much with God as it is with the bible.

I really desperately want to believe but I cant bring myself to believe
    everything that is written in the bible.

At the same time however I feel like I'm just picking and choosing what I want
    to believe because it suits me, which might be wrong (ok probably is wrong)

So what do I do?

Let it go and let God deal with it

And do you follow the bible exact?
    No

Do you question it?
    Always! Who, what, when, how and why.

Is there anything you wont believe that's in the bible?
    I believe in Jesus. I don't believe in the 'bible'. I believe the Word of God is Christ, it is not a 'bible'. Therefore when I read the bible, I read it and then leave it with God to reveal whatever He wants to reveal to me that pertains to my life at the time. I might read a scripture and get one thing out of it....I can read it again 5 years later and get something totally different. So I put my faith in God...not the bible. If you know what I mean? (The Word of God is written on my heart, so even if every bible was suddenly destroyed that would be ok by me because I still have his Word)

Do you really see it as a holy book?
    No. They are scriptures (writings) INSPIRED by God. Much like someone might write a poem inspired by the ocean...doesn't mean the ocean wrote it, just means that they were inspired by the ocean. The bible writers also have their own personalities and opinions showing through their writings also. One needs to be able to sift through that. It helps to see the bible as a whole rather than pulling out scripture out of context and running with it.

You've found God...and I think that's awesome! Your next step is to let go and lean on Him in everything that you do..be it going to work, making decisions, reading the bible whatever it may be. He can and does guide you as you go along. Sometimes he uses the bible - yes, sometimes people, sometimes circumstances/situations. I even had him show me something through a movie once. However he chooses to guide you at any given time, rest assured it will be exactly in the format you will accept and there will be no doubt because it will just sit right with you. And it will be just for you for the moment.

Please note these are genuine questions.

Please do not turn this into a fight, I'm looking to discuss with other
    Christians so I can learn
    [/QUOTE]

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Becs  (09-12-2012),SuperGranny  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Question for Christians?

Oh well if he had been warned repeatedly, certainly it was reasonable of all knowing god to advise he should be stoned to death

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Oh well if he had been warned repeatedly, certainly it was reasonable of all knowing god to advise he should be stoned to death
    I was just pointing out that it wasnt a young child and that he was warned and brought before a judicial system at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    are you Christian?

Punishments change over time we use to hit kids hands with rulers now we put them on time out at school. Times change and punishments over the years get less and less the society put up with a lot less back then just how it was

Thanks
    Reviews

No, I'm not

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I'm not
    Ok so you just here to stir the pot got it

Did you miss this part of the OP?
    Please do not turn this into a fight, I'm looking to discuss with other
    Christians so I can learn

Thanks
    Reviews

Love my fam, you've just posted in a SAHM thread and you aren't one, repeatedly in single mother threads and you aren't one, etc, so you are on shaky ground.

Also, I've read the bible and in fact studied it at tertiary level.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (09-12-2012)