+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The OP expressed the central question of this thread as follows*:

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I really desperately want to believe but I cant bring myself to believe everything that is written in the bible.
    This seems to me a valid concern on at least two counts, which have been discussed so far:
    1) The Bible contradicts what are now known facts of science.
    2) Theologically, the Bible contradicts itself and the beliefs of "bible-believing" Christians.

The second point arises with the wholly orthodox position stated above: that the sacrifice of Jesus essentially abolishes the law of the OT. But that is not what Jesus actually says in, for instance, Matthew 5:

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (ESV)
    So either Jesus is wrong, or Matthew is wrong in his report, or the OT Law still holds (except, arguably, where explicitly overriden by decisions of the early Church, specifically in regard to diet and circumcision).

Last edited by JohnC; 17-12-2012 at 20:35. Reason: missing word