+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    You can really credit such complexity and creativity and ingenuity to no designer? To a blind accident with no intelligence behind it? Would you apply that same logic to anything other than evolution?
    This is called the Argument from Incredulity.

Often works on people with little understanding of science and sufficiently incurious to remedy their ignorance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question for Christians?

I don't see anyone answering OP's questions ...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I don't see anyone answering OP's questions ...
    I was just thinking the same thing!! This has really derailed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing!! This has really derailed
    It's a fairly logical progression though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So much for this not turning into a debate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you look through the thread I believe you'll find many contributions dealing directly with the questions the OP raised covering many issues of biblical interpretation. It is unrealistic, however, to expect a useful discussion on the premise that people agree. They don't. There is no universal canon of interpretation, and issues such as whether to take the Genesis accounts of creation as historically accurate rightly lie at the centre of many people's doubts about biblical veracity.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-12-2012),Happy2be3  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And for another take on the same set of issues:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was quite a lot of discussion in this thread about biblical cosmology, ie what picture did the Old Testament writers have of the "the heavens and the earth" as created in Genesis and frequently referenced in many subsequent books, including Job and Isaiah. There is in my view no great mystery about this, but as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words"

bible earth.jpg

Note:
    1. This is obviously a cross-section, so the firmament is a dome and the earth is a disk, just as the Bible affirms in many places.
    2. The image if fully consistent with all cosmological references in the Old Testament, including how God induced the Noahic flood by opening both the floodgates of heaven and the earth.
    3. Though there are "pillars" of the Earth, they do not seem to themselves stand on anything (back of Atlas, turtles, etc), and are arguably sustained or suspended in place by God.
    4. The underworld (translated as Hades) is the Hebrew She'ol, which is where all people/souls went after death. It not equivalent to the later Christian Hell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Mods I vote this thread gets closed. It's gone WAY off topic!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    I'm not going to go into it, because I'm done with religious debates and stuff but I just wanted to point out something about the old vs the new testament. I believe the old testament was to prove how man needed a saviour. The purification the dealing with sin in an imperfect way (cleansing rituals, stoning etc) was to show that no matter what, it was impossible for man to deal with sin and is the reason why we needed a saviour. God didn't change his mind, sin still needed to be dealt with...the wages of sin was STILL death. But he did do was he offered his own Son, who he loved to pay that wage....he died! Thus there is now no need for all the rituals the sacrifices and the stonings (killings) to deal with sin. Christ was made the sacrificial lamb that was slaughtered and bled to wash our sins away, he paid the price (death) so that we don't have to.

The old testament demonstrates to us how much man needed a saviour, how corrupt man could be, how little could be done by man to deal with the corruption. It also showed the faith of those who looked foward to the cross (that hadn't happened yet) like Abraham. Whereas we now look back at the cross in faith.

That's the way I see it anyway.
    Completely random post from me - and this is literally the only post I have read in this thread as I accidentally clicked on it and that is where it opened.

This is a really interesting interpretation of the Old v New Testament and not one I can recall coming across for quite some time - if at all.

Thank you.