+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Full time or part time work

Sounds like a simple question really. If we can afford it then part time so I get to spend more time with DD ( 3 years).
    BUT as much as I love having a couple extra days at home and the flexibility of casual work ( working 2-3 days casual through a Childcare staffing agency) I find the actual work so boring and under stimulating and far too easy. I have been a Childcare Director for 5 years, went back to work full time when DD was 12weeks (she went to Childcare with me so not as bad as it sounds) and only stopped working full time at the start of this year when we began the process of moving interstate.
    I miss being the boss, I miss doing a job that is challenging and being able to train and teach and inspire others. I love being able to instigate changes in early learning and watch staff become passionate about their role as an Educator. Unfortunately Directors positions are only full time. I have recently completed my cert 4 in training and assessment as well but again VET teaching is full time as well (at least to get into the industry it is).
    I had taken time off from full time work to spend more time with DD and reduce my stress levels as we have now come to the end of our TTC journey as I can't have another baby without IVF and we have decided not to go down that path for my reasons. I dont want to regret not spending enough time with my little girl during her early years, especially when there will be no more babies for me. But I'm finding myself becoming increasingly bored with not being in a role that challenges me mentally ( DD exhaust me mentally but that is completely different ). Today I am not working but DD still asked to go to school (Childcare) instead of staying home with me because she loves it so much. But I do find DD going to Childcare 3 days a week instead of 5 that she is not as tired and grumpy.
    I'm so torn with what to do and I must change my mind a hundred times a day. Love to hear from anyone who has felt this way and what you decided and the reasons for your decision. Are you happy with your decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you thought about retraining again? on a completely different level? Like teaching or nursing? Or a career that will give you the stimulation and challenge you need but also will be able to be a bit more family friendly should you require. Also, is there a possibility of job-sharing a director job? Or what about 2IC?

I work part time, DS goes to daycare 2 days a week, sometimes 3 days, he is 3yrs and he loves it. He starts kindy next year and i'll be home with #2; i'm freaking out already that i'll be unstimulated and will miss working, especially after the first 3 months. I'm a nurse and my workplace has been great with being family/daycare friendly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been in a similar position, it isn't easy!

For the first 2 years of my daughters life I worked casually in product promotion and hostessing, it was fun for awhile and provided me with something to do other then mothering/housewifing, but I soon outgrew it (and the young girls I worked with) and decided to take up a job offer from my pre-motherhood-days boss in a Real Estate. I was working 4 days a week with my daughter in child care 2, and with her Nanna 2 days. After 5 months this got incredibly exhausting (long days, a lot of driving) so when my boss asked me if I could start doing 5 days, my partner and I decided it would be better if I stopped altogether. We decided to have our second baby. Doing this was the best decision for my whole family, all of us were better off and my wage was pretty insignificant in our household and it was mostly a disposable income for myself so it seemed illogical to continue working when I didn't need to and was struggling with it.

Having said that, my partner and I have recently opened a Cafe and are about to open our second, and I am immersed in that 7 days a week - but working for myself is far more satisfying and manageable then working for someone else.

That is my story, I guess I don't really have any advice other then to follow your instinct. With any decisions there are going to be pros and cons and it is all a matter of getting the right balance, and remembering that if you decide you made the wrong choice, cross that bridge when it comes to it and find a new direction. I hope that helps you in some way.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybear For This Useful Post:

jez  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me I would probably stick to part time unless I really needed the money. I have trained for four years at uni for my profession but I would rather be home with my child whilst I can as I figure I have the rest of my life to work full time and be stimulated by my job.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gggmama For This Useful Post:

jez  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaspat24 View Post
    Have you thought about retraining again? on a completely different level? Like teaching or nursing? Or a career that will give you the stimulation and challenge you need but also will be able to be a bit more family friendly should you require. Also, is there a possibility of job-sharing a director job? Or what about 2IC?

I work part time, DS goes to daycare 2 days a week, sometimes 3 days, he is 3yrs and he loves it. He starts kindy next year and i'll be home with #2; i'm freaking out already that i'll be unstimulated and will miss working, especially after the first 3 months. I'm a nurse and my workplace has been great with being family/daycare friendly.
    There is nothing else I really want to do. I enjoy the early learning industry and promoting quality care, just not working in a room. My cert 4 will allow me to do contract work and other arrangements in the future but you need experience first and this usually comes in full time positions that are willing to take on a new VET teacher.
    Job share Directors roles are non existing, and I understand that because having two directors can easily lead to confusion among staff about expectations. It would certainly be my ideal but the chances of finding one are extremely slim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gggmama View Post
    If it were me I would probably stick to part time unless I really needed the money. I have trained for four years at uni for my profession but I would rather be home with my child whilst I can as I figure I have the rest of my life to work full time and be stimulated by my job.
    This was my original train of thought but I also know I like me as a person more when I am using my skills, I guess I feel valued.