+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default issues with 2 year old pooing (possible TMI)

My 2 year old (in nappies) has never really had any problems until a few months ago now we are having terrible issues with him pooing all the time.
    instead of doing 1 or 2 full poos a day he is constantly doing little bits of poo all through the day. sometimes it is just a few skids but other times it is a decent sized nugget (sorry for the TMI) but it is all day at least 7 if not more nappy chances a day due to poo.
    this has resulted in a very red raw saw bottom due to having poo on it all the time making nappy change a nightmare cause it hurts him and putting the cream on afterwards is just as bad.
    2 theories i have come up with is either:
    a) he is learning to use the potty so maybe he is trying to hold it in and cant quiet get it
    b) his bottom is sore from the poo therefore it hurts to poo so he starts but it stings so he stops and just lets little bits out??

i am open for advice/ suggestions or similar stories as everything i have tried isnt working and we are at our wits end poor kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a shame no one has any ideas i feel so useless

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi op,

Im not medically qualified and I've taken my sleeping tablet so sorry if I don't make too much sense.

Firstly nuggets as you describe them are very much indicative of constipation, even if he's had runny poos recently he cam still be constipated. Allow sone nappy free time, in fact as much as your sanity will permit!! - his will help the redness.
    Secondly increase his fluid intake and fibre intake. I've heard pear juice works wonders!!
    Also lots of calming words and posive encouragement when he does poo.

Depending on your state there are 24 HR numbers you can call with concerns relating to your child's health but hopefully sone of my pointers should help. You might even have to explain in simple terms to ds that it's might hurt to pop but once he dies his poo his tummy and bottom will feel better and that mummy is trying to help him by giving him a special drink(aka pear juice) to help him pop
    Last edited by Carpe diem 2013; 13-08-2012 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like constipation? You could maybe talk to a pharmacist or your GP about movicol junior (from the chemist), helps make it softer and easier to pass. Not sure what age is ok to use from but DD is 3 and GP and our friend who's a paed both recommended it for her when she had same problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    so do you think it is constipation even if the poo is soft?

i am hoping to get him into the doctor today dont like my chances with the state of the health system out here but gotta try

Thanks
    Reviews

TMI alert again, it's hard to say without seeing it, but if it's a small amount of soft poo it can be the 'overflow' that's getting around the blockage higher up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you all for your advice had an X-ray and looks like he is constipated very badly got some microlax fingers crossed it helps
    And thanks again for all your help when u are feeling lost and need advice that goodness for bub hub

Thanks
    Reviews

Great to hear you got some answers. Hopefully it gets sorted quickly. It can sometimes be an ongoing battle with constipation unfortunately, from I've seen with DD and a few friends kids who had same issues.