+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We dot had any particular dietary beliefs here nor do we have intolerances. We do try to have a mainly healthy diet. Before they can have any form of packaged food the kids have to have fruit/yoghurt etc first. I don't cater to particular likes/dislikes (unless it's an entire meal they hate rather than just a veggie) and the rule here is try everything once and they can leave something of their choice on their plates.

I'm a pretty mean mum but as I was a fussy eater as a kid in now a fussy adult, I'm trying to encourage all of us to try new things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We are both vegetarians, and meat is not welcome in our house, so our children will have to follow that at home.

Otherwise, I'm reasonably flexible. We will often make separate meals for our son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    While vego, I prepared 2 separate meals as DH is practically a carnivore a s DS eats meat also. Now that I am pregnant (and will continue through the breastfeeding journey), I am eating meat again to ensure bubby gets enough nutrition (I am aware that protein, iron etc can be found in other foods, but I have a hectic lifestyle and being pregnant means i don't want to have to worry about it).

When it comes to foods in general I am open to letting DS try a variety of foods but I likewise monitor what variations he has. For example, he eats wholemeal or multigrain bread rather than white, and rather than nesquick he has aktavite

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    and rather than nesquick he has aktavite

Mmmmmm...Aktavite -- I eat that with a spoon!!

But only when the kids aren't watching

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What's in Aktavite? I've never had it

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure do! I know what would happen if I told her she could eat whatever she wanted!

With eating habits:
    We have a no fussiness rule. If you don't eat it, you don't get anything else. I'm not a chef, I don't make dinner to personal orders.

We make exceptions for allergies, of course, and natural dislikes, but we do insist that it is tried for at least three mouthfuls before declaring it a 'dislike'.
    DD's is steamed fish. Crumbed or in curry is fine, but steamed she hates. She valiantly battled through two mouthfuls of it before throwing down the fork, so she gets crumbed instead of steamed.

If you eat all your dinner, you get dessert. Birthdays are the only exception. On birthdays, birthday boy/girl chooses dinner and dessert, and you don't have to finish dinner to get cake.
    Everyone loves birthdays here.

With actual dietary needs:

We eat everything. Vegies, fruit, fish, nuts, meat, asian, mexican, texan, indian...everything is tried once. We've never gone full vegetarian/vegan, but we've had vego meals.

The Mum of one of DD's school friends is a...something. I really can't remember the name of it? She only eats fruit/vegetables that falls naturally from a tree or vine. No picking or pulling out of the ground, no meat whatsoever.
    That seems a little overboard with the healthy eating thing to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way!?! You can still buy Acta Vite?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep pretty well. There are certain things they are simply not allowed to have and they have it explained it to them why and they understand (things like soft drink, cordial, McDonald's, KFC etc.)

We are not vegetarians but eat mainly vegetarian meals. I don't cook up an extra side of meat for my kids, they just eat the vegetarian meals.

Oh and I force my middle child to eat a piece of fruit every day and I will do that with my youngest once he is old enough to have it explained to him why it is important. My middle child accepted that she needed to have fruit every day and she only eats two types of fruit, but she has it without complaints. She has no sensory issues for her food aversion and it's all done in a very calm manner.

At dinner time I just have an 'eat dinner or go hungry' rule and they decide what they want to do. It means my 2 year old probably eats dinner once a month but that's his choice and, like his sisters did, I'm sure he'll start eating dinner more often once he is older.

Oh and there's a no dessert rule in our family too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    The Mum of one of DD's school friends is a...something. I really can't remember the name of it? She only eats fruit/vegetables that falls naturally from a tree or vine. No picking or pulling out of the ground, no meat whatsoever.
    That seems a little overboard with the healthy eating thing to me.
    I think it's year a Fruitarian. And, yes, very extreme.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Aktavite:

http://www.aktavite.com.au/

I know some people avoid Milo for ethical reasons...we have aktavire because I grew up with it..I think the malt in milo is a trigger for eczema flares.

(from the link for those one their phones
    Nutritional Benefits

AktaVite's pure cocoa formulation is fortified with eight essential vitamins and minerals: Vitamins A, C and D, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium and Folate. Lactose (dairy) free and low in fat, AktaVite is made from non-genetically modified ingredients and contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.

With its unique granular formula, AktaVite is a versatile product that can be stirred into milk, sprinkled on ice cream or yoghurt, sandwiched between bread or used for cocoa flavouring in baking.

AktaVite is certified Kosher and meets the requirements for Halal certification
    )

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (12-08-2012),Elijahs Mum  (12-08-2012)