+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you impose you dietary beliefs on your children??

Will you impose your dietary beliefs on your children??

Growing up I was raised by a very 'meat and three vege' type of family, had a dad who used to make us sit there and eat our mashed pumpkin, if we didn't it got reheated over and over and we weren't allowed to leave the table until it was eaten (or until we fell asleep from exhaustion).

I like to explore all different types of food and all I ask is that my kids 'have a taste' - they have different taste buds and just like I would force DP to sit down and eat a plate full of sushi, I would force my child who has some strong food aversions to swallow a plate of pasta with the tomato sauce touching
    I try to avoid junk but don't ban it.
    We attempt to cook from scratch as much as possible but know that it can't always be done in this modern age of rush, rush, rush.

They are aware that some people don't eat meat and that some people have severe allergies, similar to how my son has a salicylate intolerance.
    I am of the belief that people should be aware of where their food comes from.

So, what are your 'dietary beliefs' and do you impose them on your children???

*yes this is a spin off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I eat everything so my boy does too and will continue to until he tells me otherwise.
    Wait...because I don't do anything special does that mean I have no dietary beliefs? Does that mean I shouldn't answer? Gosh darn.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Some of them i do. i mean, i insist they don't eat white bread/pasta/rice, and that they eat fresh veggies, little dairy, etc etc.

but i am a vegetarian and have not raised them to be. if any of them choose to be i will be secretly proud

p.s my shift key is stuck, hence the lack of capitalisation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Somewhat.

I mean, I don't say, "You must be a meat-eater because I am!" and when DD decided she wanted to try pescetarianism (basically a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but with the addition of seafood), I did what I could to make that happen. I predicted it would only be short-lived, and it was... but I think it's important to support her when she makes ethical decisions like she did.

I don't make her eat the same diet as I do - because of my stomach op, I'm primarily to eat protein... so my dinner will often consist of a small bit of fish or steak... with maybe 1 tiny floret of broccoli. She can eat more than I can in a sitting though, and she obviously needs much more variety in her diet... and it'd be stupid for me to have her eat only what I can.

I don't have a "you must everything on your plate!" rule because I feel that's just going to teach her to ignore her body's messaging (eg. telling her she's full) and set her up for bad eating habits... but the rule is, "You must eat your veges first." This was because she would previously eat the meat and then say she was full... only to whinge about being hungry 1/2 hour later. So yeah, now when she says she's full, I know she's not fibbing.

I also encourage her to TRY everything. She's pretty good about it, and even had a fresh oyster... something I think most kids would be disgusted about... lol. She didn't like it, but that was fine... I was glad she tried it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe that meat is delicious and fine to eat. But if my kids have a different view I will accommodate for it.

[text removed]
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 12-08-2012 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I eat everything so my boy does too and will continue to until he tells me otherwise.
    Wait...because I don't do anything special does that mean I have no dietary beliefs? Does that mean I shouldn't answer? Gosh darn.
    No..no - you are more than welcome.

(only if you have wine though - that's a dietary requirement right!?)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-08-2012),Bubmum  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty much I will.

At home no white bread, rice will be provided, low salt, treats occasionally. If they happen to eat these things outside the home that's fine but it won't happen at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I'm going to impose my non dietary beliefs on my son

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah of course i do , If we let kids ate what they wanted they would probably eat milo and icecream all day
    I am raising my child as a vegetarian if he wants meat when he is older he will have to get a job, buy his own food and cook it himself.

He is a proud little Vego though and he is only 4.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Until they are old enough to make an informed choice then of course they will eat the same as DF and I.