+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Losing amniotic fluid?

I'm currently 36weeks and last night I went to the toilet and then about 5 mins later I had water gush out. 2 mins after that, some more trickled out. It was enough to wet both my underwear and pants!!!! I'm worried it may be amniotic fluid but likewise worried it was urine lol (though it didn't smell like it and looked like water). Thoughts??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Safe to get checked but I had a leaky amniotic sac the whole way through my pregnancy. Water keeps replenishing every hour. Sometimes you can get little holes in the sac! Worth going for a drive to hospital though and put a pad on because staff wil want you to bring something up that the fluid has "leaked onto".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had anything leak today, it just scared the beejeebus out of me as it soaked my pants but yet nothing followed... Glad to hear they replenish! Will definitely be bringing up with my midwife on Thursday's appointment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best to go to the hospital asap, my waters were leaking very slightly so little I didn't detect it in my 2nd pregnancy which caused an infection in my uterus and resulted in early labor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maple View Post
    Best to go to the hospital asap, my waters were leaking very slightly so little I didn't detect it in my 2nd pregnancy which caused an infection in my uterus and resulted in early labor.
    What exactly happened and what did it feel like/ how much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I noticed when I wiped after going to the toilet that it was a straw like colour different to urine or discharge but I didn't think anything of it until the next day I began to have mild cramping, went to the hospital where they did an internal and a large gush of amniotic fluid came out and I was questioned about the day before, they told me my waters had been leaking but I didn't know. They started me on antibiotics but it was too late, the next day I went into labor and lost my baby at 24 weeks due to group B strep contaminating my uterus. I did have a lot of complications leading up to this point though, I had bleeding all the way through but it had stopped a few days before my waters breaking which is probably why I couldn't tell the difference really when I wiped in the loo. I just think it's not worth the risk, everything may be fine but it's best to get it checked out just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my goodness that's awful I will definitely be bringing it up with my MW, I had strep b with my DS. I'm currently 36 weeks so if I went into labour it wouldn't be all that bad, but the strep b now has me worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is aweful Maple, sorry that had to happen. Squirrelex, have u been checked yet r u ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I am a bit suprised that group b strep had that affect as if you have a csection they don't even recommend testing for strep b, unless of course things were placed via the vagina into the cervix after the water had broken- such as fingers or instruments. Usually if you can get to 36-37 weeks and are low risk you are able to take vitamin c and garlic (from memory) to reduce the risk. If you are high risk and positive for strep b, of course the drip is often the best option.
    I haven't been tested for strep b this pregnancy though I am guessing that will happen on thurs at the hospital with my 36wk appointment. I had it with my last who was an emergency c sect so the risk of infection occurred during labour and I had antibiotics in a drip... Not sure whether I want a c sect straight up or try for a vbac. I guess my decision will impact whether I need anti biotics or whether I have step b again (it apparently comes and goes?)