+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Perhaps just give her a damp face washer to chew on? If she's teething a brush might be hitting her gums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the tips! I'll try giving her the toothbrush and brushing my teeth with her. She's always really interested when she watches me brush my teeth so hopefully she'll start copying me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didnt brush DS's teeth until he had 2 fully emerged. At first I used cloth to clean his teeth, then I got him a little brush. At first he found it amusing, but then after a while he started to HATE brushing his top teeth! I tried a lot of ways, brush it in the bath, after bath, let him hold the brush, but I felt it wasnt cleaned properly.
    Now when ever I brush my teeth I make him stay in the bathroom with me and I give him a brush, so he tries to copy what I am doing. Then I would take his toothbrush and help him clean his teeth and let him take mine and let him brush my teeth!
    He loves it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old was your child when they started copying you and trying to do it themselves? DD just turned 1. I tried letting her play with the brush in the bath tonight but she just kept throwing it away. She's on to me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is 16 months old and started copying us about 2 months ago. He now gets very cranky if we are brushing our teeth and he isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You might be stressing it a bit young? Her teeth will probably be fine for a few more months until she takes an interest. My LO has only just started rubbing her brush in her mouth, copying me (17 months). But I've never forced a brush or cleaned her teeth & there's no plaque evident, she doesn't eat sugary things, so I just don't worry about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let DD 18months brush my teeth first and then I got to brush her teeth - up until I thought of this she HATED having anything to do with a toothbrush but a couple of nights of this and she was hooked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I'd probably give her to toothbrush for now to chew on, so she can get used to the feel, and afterwards give it a quick brush.
    It's something you have to persist with.
    This is what we did. I bought DD a baby toothbrush when she cut her first tooth (11 months) and sat her down while I was brushing my teeth. She would watch me and suck/chew on the toothbrush. When I was done I would take the brush and say "my turn" and give it a quick, light go over her tooth and gums.

I introduced baby toothpaste when she had four teeth through, and always let her use the toothbrush first. Now she is 2, we brush our teeth together everyday. I let her pick her own toothbrush when it needs replacing. She lives brushing her teeth and would do it all day if I let her!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Brushing teeth...

DD let me brush her teeth tonight! She laughed all through it and then tried to do it herself! She also kept trying to brush mine too lol. Yay!