+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What is your response to him vomiting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    New things seem to over excite him. So not sure about a big boy bed, he also does not understand that if he goes too close to the edge he will fall off and hurt himself.....

Try to be calm and reassuring...wait until he has finished being sick change him then his bedding offer a drink then bedtime stories again once he is calm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissEm View Post
    he also does not understand that if he goes too close to the edge he will fall off and hurt himself.....
    This can be fixed with a toddler rail. DS was 18 months when he went into his big boy bed. But mentally he was just 1 year old and didn't understand anything I said to him. I put some big body pillows on the floor and he fell out twice and learned his lesson quickly. Hasn't fallen out since and I actually removed the rail 2 weeks ago with no incidents.

It is definitely a tough situation you're in and I have no other advice then maybe talk to your CHN or doctor about it.
    Goodluck hun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it dark?? I know my ds(who never wanted to go to sleep and now he is older can verbaliss that the light on his monitor wasnt bright enough). We got him an egg light from ikea ... It changes colour and lights up his room very well (in a dullish way )

Could he have his bottle in bed? Might help him relax in bed.

Does he have a pillow? I know my dd slept better with a pillow from 18 mths - ds didn't really use one till he was 3 1/2!

Could you try getting him a special polar fleece blanket to use in bed?

Have you tried a sleep centre??? Even just for advice.

Personally I wouldn't be in a rush to move him to a big bed.

Finally stay close with your dh it's easy to snap at each other from the stress but you really need to support each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Is it dark?? I know my ds(who never wanted to go to sleep and now he is older can verbaliss that the light on his monitor wasnt bright enough). We got him an egg light from ikea ... It changes colour and lights up his room very well (in a dullish way )

Could he have his bottle in bed? Might help him relax in bed.

Does he have a pillow? I know my dd slept better with a pillow from 18 mths - ds didn't really use one till he was 3 1/2!

Could you try getting him a special polar fleece blanket to use in bed?

Have you tried a sleep centre??? Even just for advice.

Personally I wouldn't be in a rush to move him to a big bed.

Finally stay close with your dh it's easy to snap at each other from the stress but you really need to support each other.
    He has a fairly bright orange coloured night light near his bed so not very dark in his room.

He does have his bottle in bed.

He has a cuddle blankie, taggy and his puppy toy for bedtime.

no pillow as he cuddles up with his puppy and on his blankets, he loves the fluffy ones and a raggy blanket I made him

haven't tried a sleep center. This has been the closest we have been to him sleeping through since Xmas as he is always sick.

He is not sick now and will sleep through but the first part of the night is terrible

I had a talk with my partner tonight as he was putting him to bed once DS vomited he was out of the room saying he couldnt handle it anymore an I took over. after a few mins quiet time DH was back to help sort things out....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissEm View Post
    After he is in his cot. usually we are trying to console him while in his cot or reading him a story to help calm him
    Is he upset because he'd been put into his cot. Have you tried special toys or books just for in bed to create some good cot associations? Or let him pick out new sheets or a blanket?

If he's already upset and you need to console him maybe he just really dislikes something in there?

It sounds really hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This why I suggested ringing an organization like Tresillian or Karitane.
    I don't know what state you live in, but here in NSW we have these 2 organizations to help with any kind of issue with babies from 0 to 4 years old.
    They have a 24 hour phone number you can ring and you can talk to a CHN. They also both run sleepschools, so if they suggest a few things and they don't work, you can always ask to have your name written down for sleep school.

I know every state has similar services, so perhaps just google "sleep school" in your state.

Another thing, if it really is that bad that you're hubby is so distressed that he wont put DS to bed anymore, you might want to ask a GP to be referred to a peadiatrician. There might be a non obvious medical reason. At the very least the pead will be able to point you in the right direction for sure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    no he goes to the side of his cot and says' up' each night.

he has his puppy and taggy for bedtime and favourite fluffy blankie.

We have tried to find out if there is something in his room that may frighten him or that he doesn't like but even at night time he seems happy with things....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My best friends daughter went through a phase of doing this. It was purely attention seeking. The LO discovered that if she vomits (it started with genuine sick vomiting) she got lots of attention, cuddles, more stories and delayed bed time. They were tearing their hair out as they would actually watch the little girl (about 2yrs) stick her fingers in her mouth, cough and make herself throw-up! It had them very worried for a while that she was genuinely ill, until they saw her actually do it1

They eventually resolved it by making the changing of the sheets and clothes a very boring, calm affair with no eye contact. Tucked her back into the cot, said goodnight and left the room. It took perserverance, but she got the message and eventually went off to sleep without the shenannigans

Good luck, it must be very trying and frustrating, not to mention all the vomity washing

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (12-08-2012),Misschief  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had huge vomiting issues at night time when putting her to bed. She has a weak gag reflex but im pretty sure she helped it along iykwim. It started about 11 months and almost every night until 14 months she would vomit at least once. We tried absolutely everything.
    Then one afternoon i had an idea to convert her cot to a toddler bed. I half expected her to get worse. But strange enough we saw instant results and it was a good few weeks before she vomited again. She is 17 months now and will still on the odd occasion vomit at bed time, but its rare and much more manageable.

I saw someone else mentioned this as well, and from our experiences would be worth a try

Hope you find a solution soon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub