+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's a good idea.

I really benefited from it myself. I started working casually in grade 9.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As the old saying goes, 'everything in moderation'. As a PP said, I see lots of kids in high school too exhausted to concentrate at school or even in some cases they've taken the day off to work!! (I have one yr 11 student not coming to school tomorrow as he works in Logan and it's a public holiday so he can earn 2x the amount). I think having a job is rewarding and also eases the financial stress from parents to pay for movies, party presents etc. it's also great for expanding your social circle beyond school. I think when DS works I'll be limiting him to weekend work and possibly a Thursday night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worked 2 shifts a week at Big W from the age of 15. I liked having my own spending money and while it taught me jack about saving money, I had to learn to balance my social life with work and school. Incidentally my time management skills and ability to multi task are probably my greatest strengths and I found when I was working full time after uni I was incredibly comfortable with deadlines and fitting in work around meetings and managing a team. I attribute that partly to my personality (typical Type A control freak) and also to my previous experience with casual work. I also worked right through uni and was responsible for all my uni costs. Along with my HECS debt I paid for all my text books, stationery, petrol, car maintenance, car loan, parking and student union fees. I learned very quickly how to budget and prioritise money given I was only working 15-20 hours a week as a bartender (ie crappy pay). I also lived out of home for 6 months and paid my own rent, food, bills etc (with help from Centrelink).

While part of my financial responsibility was because my parents weren't exactly rolling in it, part of it was also to teach me the value of a dollar. I hope my boys are working while at school, even just one shift a week. I'd be keen on them sticking to retail (or similar) during high school though given hospitality hours can be a bit rough. We're going to be in a better position financially than my parents were but I will certainly expect that my boys will pay for their own leisure activities at the very least. What they pay for during uni will depend entirely on their job and their expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I really don't know the answer, we will cross that bridge to it when we get there....I am definitely not opposed but definitely wont insist on it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My brother is a top level athlete, he's pegged to compete in the next Olympics.

To get to this stage he had to train 3 hours before school and 3 hours after school, that plus a lot of travel meant he could never have worked. So I'm glad my mum never insisted he work or he wouldn't be at this level now.

He postponed Uni mid degree and got a part time job at McDonalds to fund his living while he trained and has recently given that up as now he's being paid to train.

I firmly believe things like work and study can be postponed for passions and opportunities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    My brother is a top level athlete, he's pegged to compete in the next Olympics.

To get to this stage he had to train 3 hours before school and 3 hours after school, that plus a lot of travel meant he could never have worked. So I'm glad my mum never insisted he work or he wouldn't be at this level now.

He postponed Uni mid degree and got a part time job at McDonalds to fund his living while he trained and has recently given that up as now he's being paid to train.

I firmly believe things like work and study can be postponed for passions and opportunities.
    I'm like that too (and that is exciting about your brother btw, what sport?) I am passionate about my children being able to follow their passions. For at least 2 of them (probably more) it is sport and for DD is it dance and music. It is part of them, they are good at it, it keeps their minds alive and makes them feel good. Whether they get to elite level or not, I believe it is so, so important to have something they love going into the teenage years I believe it gives them something to focus on when alot of other parts of adolescence are so hard.

This may be in the form of work too, who knows?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As we currently run a business we will probably let the kids do odd jobs for us, or look for other jobs locally if they wish. One of my kids is quite studious while the other has autism and is intellectually impaired. I think its particularly important for my asd child to learn life skills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked through high school and loved it. Learnt so much, gave me new friends and helped me to learn to be financially independent (because my family didnt have much money, I was able to buy the things I wanted and stopped me from being harassed at school for not having all the latest stuff..snobby school ) It also helped me to grow up and learn to be mature in the workplace.

I am a high school teacher and recommend to my students to get a casual job as I believe it helps them to gain confidence, independence and essential life skills. I STRONGLY advise that they do it within reason ie - dont work late night shifts on school nights, and not to work over 10-12 hours per week because then it can impact on study.

I will be encouraging my kids to have a job when they are older for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a great idea, learn skills, hands on experience, learn about money, etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was begging my parents to let me get a job as soon as I turned 14 and 9 months (that was the minimum work age at the time), and finally when I was 15 they said yes and I started working at Woolworths. I worked 14 hours per week - 4 hours on Tuedsay afternoon/evening, then 5 hours each on Saturday and Sunday. My parents made me save half of my pay every week, and it was clear that if my results at school suffered, I had to reduce my hours or quit. I took school and work seriously and balanced it well. It taught me amazing time management skills; once I started Uni, I was studying full time, working 18 hours on weekends at Woolworths and another 20 hours per week as a Receptionist. Because I had a strong work ethic, my (now) husband and I were able to purchase our first home when I was 19, when many of the kids I went to school with were struggling to manage their part-time jobs with Uni.

Having amazingly supportive parents makes it much easier (emotionally supportive, I still mostly looked after myself financially), but I think all kids should work while they're at school!