+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all of the thread, but....I think it's a good idea, and I'll encourage my son to get a job after school when he's old enough.

I got my first job at a supermarket when I was 14 and 9 months. I worked 2 afternoons a week and all day Saturday. It was good, it allowed me to be more financially independent, taught me responsibility, and helped me become a lot more mature.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The other thing is, I am a *much* better saver than my friends and even DP who didn't work throughout high school (she played Volleyball for Australia and had a few coaching jobs here and there though, and made a few ads for Volleyball Aus). I paid for all of my own things as a student and through working I saved the 10k I needed for my round the world trip for example, but even just in life generally, if I left the bills and rent to be paid by DP she's be totally lost as she just cannot budget as well as I can, and I completely think that is because when I was earning maybe $100 a week, that needed to pay for my phone credit, my clothes, my social life - and I learnt that spending $10 a day at the school canteen wasn't going to aid that.

I also played loads of sport throughout high school even though I worked as well. My time management skills were much better than my friends who didn't work, because instead of having heaps of free time, I had to fit my homework in between school, sport and work as well as finding some down time for myself.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 12-08-2012 at 10:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Regarding the theory that teenagers who work, learn to budget and save...

Why is consumer debt in gen y so high - with no foreseeable future decline?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post

Not sure... because I'd have thought older gens were more likely to have worked than gen Y.

I'm also grateful to have been taught about principal and interest in highschool and swore I'd never have a credit card or "bad debt" (so other than a mortgage on a house really... I don't think I'd even ever want a car loan)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Not sure... because I'd have thought older gens were more likely to have worked than gen Y.

I'm also grateful to have been taught about principal and interest in highschool and swore I'd never have a credit card or "bad debt" (so other than a mortgage on a house really... I don't think I'd even ever want a car loan)

I thought gen y had the highest number of teenage school students working? I think other gens would have had a younger workforce, but not while studying...?

I don't have any consumer debt either. Yayyy...my DH is really, really bad with money though, despite working fro 14+9months...he is all about instant gratification...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My niece works at rivers. She just payed for her own school trip to Mt Buller (from tassie)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I am gen y, working didn't really give me money skills, for me it was a social experience that gave me work skills, but I used to burn through my money like there was no tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I thought gen y had the highest number of teenage school students working? I think other gens would have had a younger workforce, but not while studying...?

I don't have any consumer debt either. Yayyy...my DH is really, really bad with money though, despite working fro 14+9months...he is all about instant gratification...
    Probably right with that. Probably also older gens would have worked for the family or contributed their income as household income.

And I can't really speak for my gen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It too easy to get money and possessions on credit!

Previous generations didn't have access to interest free purchasing and credit cards - it seems even my dog could get a credit card, it wasn't so easy years ago!

It's not just gen y its everyone of this generation - many adults I know want instant things without having to save for anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine wasn't allowed to work during high school as her parents wanted her to get a good education. As a result once she left high school she could not find a job, no one wanted to hire her by that stage as she was 19 and had zero job experience and there were 15 year olds with the same level of experience who they could hire for a cheaper rate.

My DD will be encouraged to work casually while in high school, I think it teaches responsibility and will give her the experience to gain a job in the future.