+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I'll probably take the same position as my parents did- casual work was fine up till VCE, then they upped my allowance for the two years so I could concentrate on studying. In years 8-10 I got $15pw in allowance and worked about 10 hours a week, making some pathetic amount (i think $6 per hour), then in years 11-12 my parents gave me $50 a week so i could still have fun but didn't have to work. I ended up with a really good score.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    this is sort of what I was thinking would happen for our kids....get work experience...but also be able to focus.

I know for me, I worked way too much and it did effect my results. My DS very academic, and wants to go on to do heaps more study after Year 12...I want to give him every opportunity to succeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I won't object.

I worked from 14 years, 9 months up until about 18/19. I got pretty good marks and went straight from school to uni.

I found working and uni much more of a struggle, than work and school. I quit my job of 4 years within a few months of starting uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totally support the idea!

I believe it is far better to teach kids the ability to manage a work / study balance so they have the tools to be able to support themselves in the future when at Uni

*we live in the country so our kids would have to support themselves (with some assistance from us) in the city to attend Uni

To the posters who want their children to concentrate solely on study do you intend to continue to encourage your children to do the same for Uni ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post

To the posters who want their children to concentrate solely on study do you intend to continue to encourage your children to do the same for Uni ?
    If they are happy to live at home then yes I'll be happy to support them if they don't want to work.

Eta that's if they want to go to uni. D support them in any form of study.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Totally support the idea!

I believe it is far better to teach kids the ability to manage a work / study balance so they have the tools to be able to support themselves in the future when at Uni

*we live in the country so our kids would have to support themselves (with some assistance from us) in the city to attend Uni

This is us too. DD does have to work. She is currently working a minimum 26 hrs a week and she is doing very well (second class honours in all of her subjects) at uni.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    This is us too. DD does have to work. She is currently working a minimum 26 hrs a week and she is doing very well (second class honours in all of her subjects) at uni.
    Your DD and others like her are the reason I want to rent our my spare room to cover expenses only, which would work out very cheap, and if they are happy with vegan bulk meals the could eat here then add meat if they want to.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    If they are happy to live at home then yes I'll be happy to support them if they don't want to work.

Eta that's if they want to go to uni. D support them in any form of study.
    Why the focus solely on study if then no intention to continue onto Uni?

If my kids didn't want to go to Uni Id much prefer them to take up a school based apprenticeship to study their chosen field!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Why the focus solely on study if then no intention to continue onto Uni?

If my kids didn't want to go to Uni Id much prefer them to take up a school based apprenticeship to study their chosen field!
    There are other methods of study apart from uni or school based apprenticeships. I just don't think a fast food job ect is a good way to invest your time if that's not the field you want to work in and if it is I think doing managerial courses or the like is a good idea first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a Sat job throughout most of school and would have no problems with my kids doing the same. I'd probably be delighted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will definitely support DS working casually as long as it doesnt interfere with his schooling. I think it teaches a lot.
    I am from the country and worked casually all throughout school, i scored a 95.5 ENTER score and got into law. I would have had a huge amount of trouble learning to budget if i hit uni without having worked previously.
    I did find within the group from my year 12 class that moved to Melbourne from our home town for uni the ones who had never worked had a very hard time finding anywhere that would take them on while they studied.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast