+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gift of sleep e-book or SOS??

Hi ladies, just wondering if anybody has tried 'the gift of sleep' e-book? I have SOS by tizzie hall and haven't had much luck. My DD is 7 months, still needs to be breastfed to sleep as its the only way I can get her down and then she's awake only an hour or so later every night!!! And she refuses to sleep in the day but I don't want to just let her cry it out. Any reviews for gift of sleep or should I just keep going with SOS? I'm struggling!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i haven't read either book. i don't like the philosophy of SOS.

breastfeeding to sleep is ok if you want to do it. it is natural for baby to fall asleep at the breast. breastmilk has hormones that promote sleep.

The 'no cry sleep solution' has ideas for assist with changing sleep, and feed patterns if you do want to make changes.

sleep deprivation is hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been breastfeeding her to sleep since she was little, she slept all the way through until she was about 3.5 months and then we started moving around for my parnters work. We've stayed in 5 different places in the last 4 months and I think shes just unsettled, but now the only way she'll sleep is when she is being fed and she wakes up when I put her into her port-a-cot which is right beside our bed. I have to get her into a deep sleep which can take hours on my boob before I can put her down and then shes awake an hour later. Its so exhausting! I've been trying to get her off the boob as well, but she hasn't taken a bottle since we started moving around either, just screams as if I'm murdering her!
    I'll google the no cry solution. I hate hearing her cry, it makes me want to cry too, but I haven't been able to get her asleep by rocking or singing or anything! I literally just want to curl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep!! My partner works 12 hour days 6 days a week so I can't expect him to help so I'm stuck on two hours sleep a night and I don't think I can handle it much longer. I think DD struggles a little with separation anxiety too, I can't even leave the room while shes awake without her stressing out and crying!! As much as I love her, shes sending me crazy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I breastfed DS to sleep right up until the day he weaned himself against his will. When he was 14 months old, he was admitted in hospital for a bad case of tonsillitis combined with an ear infection and some strange viral rash. He was badly congested and couldn't feed and breathe at the same time.
    Plus he was completely off any kind of food and liquid.

I was terrified. I was dreading taking him home. "How am I going to get him off to sleep????" It was easier than I thought. I got an old t-shirt of mine and cut it up. I had in my bed for 2 days so it smelt like me.
    I gave this to him to hold against his face when I put him in his cot. He would cuddle it tight and fall asleep.

My advice, keep feeding him to sleep until you wean him. I mean, 7 months is still young in my opinion. I don't know til what age you want to breastfeed,but if he's still feeding to sleep at 2yo, then I would think about changing things. Not now though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read gift of sleep but didn't like the techniques suggested. I found it odd to suggest knocking loudly outside the door would settle a baby, so didn't try it. I'm happy to try and send it to you if you - pm me if you want it.

As I understand it there will be crying with either method. If you DD is already feeling anxious I wouldn't be trying CC at the moment.

For the feeding to sleep look up Pantley's pull off method.

I find this website good for giving an overview of different methods which you could try, and cheaper than buying all of the books :-) http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/sear...eep%20solution

Good luck, hope you get some rest soon.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Floyl  (06-04-2013),GirlyWirly  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She has a little ragdoll kind of teddy thats been in her bed since she was about 3 months, every so often I'll put it in my top for a few hours in the hope that it'll start to smell like me and comfort her but it hasn't seemed to work. She just likes to rip the ears!
    She still doesn't have teeth, but already clamps her gums down hard and grinds them on my nipple so that was the reason I wanted to get her on bottles. I think she'd probably bite my nipple off if she had teeth!! I go like 'ahh gentle with mumma' or 'no ouchies' and she just grins and giggles at me! Shes a cheeky little thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahahaha yeah the biting was a pain for sure. DS bit me that hard once that I had to go through my whole stock of frozen EBM as I couldn't feed him for 24 hours as I had blood in my milk
    Not having boob for 24 hours, was enough to stop him from biting again.

Also, if you have some facewashers or even old shirts or something, squirt a little breastmilk on it. Ofcourse you wash them every day, that's why I used old shirts and facewashers. It will definitely smell of you that way.
    Its only for a little while until she no longer feeds to sleep.

Otherwise I have no other suggestions. If she does bite hard, you pull her away and say in a very stern voice "No biting!" and do not put her back on for a few minutes. Some friends of mine did this and it worked for them.

Goodluck hun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi mummabear, firstly, hugs..

The first thing I thought of was, wrap your baby up, warm and tight, then feed her to sleep as normal, then you should be able to transfer her to her port a cot, as she's wrapped and warm, she won't wake up as soon as she gets cold. It's possible that she wakes up when she no longer feels warm from your body heat.

If it doesn't work, no harm done, but this worked for my dd's. Oh, I also put an extra warm blanket over them when I put them into bed, and tried to move them as little as possible.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be trying the gift of sleep program next week so ill be sure to let you know how it goes! As the PP said, it does sound like a stranhe technique with the knocking but i believe it works as its to get bubs attention if theyre crying so they stop for a second to see what the noise was and it helps them calm down and lower the heart rate and keep their mind off why they were crying. A few times when my dd has been crying and heard a loud noise, shes stopped and then fallen asleep within minutes so i definately see the logic there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    She has been wrapped since she was born and I fed to sleep but lately shes been waking as I put her down. The last week and a bit she wont even go in the cot without waking up, screaming and trembling. Takes about 10 seconds and shes got tears ********* down her face and everything so we have been co sleeping. Nothing happened or changed for her to react this way either.
    Mummy2MJ, how did you go with gift of sleep? We are thinking of starting tomorrow night but still not in our own home so not sure. Would love to hear how you went