+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Grommets

Hi all,

Got told my son will need grommets put in as he has had constant ear infections and generally very irritable and can see he is clearly in discomfort and pain with his ears.

I don't have private health, therefore the waiting list will be 4 months.

Has anyone paid privately and could recommend what the fee's should be?

I have been told it will cost me over 5k to pay upfront at our local hospital. Our Dr is in Hornsby. Does this sound about right? It's a lot of money for us but will do what I need to for my son.

Can anyone recommed any Ear surgeons in Sydney area? I'm in Hornsby.

Would really appreciate it.

Would also love to hear the outcome for your child after having the operation. Really hoping this changes my sons life around for the better!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mandy,
    Im up on the gold coast and i had my sons done 3 yrs ago. Our public waitong list is around 18 months and i knew it had to be done very soon, as he was 3 and didnt speak. I went with a private dr in our public hospital. This option is a lot cheaper and youll get in straight away, you just have to find a good ent who operates in the public rooms too. It cost me $1500 and i got around $750 back from medicare. Definately worth it tho, he went from not saying anything to just blabbering everything and the difference was almost instantanious. Also he didnt need to stay in overnight at the hospital, his surgery was at 8am, he was out after 20 mins and we where home at 10.30 that same morning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamm32 For This Useful Post:

mandypiee  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had grommets three times. The first time was when he was 4, then 2 more times till he was 7. He also had to have speech therapy, but we found when his first lot of grommets went in, his speech improved as he could finally hear properly.
    He had his adenoids removed with the third set of grommets and it finally fixed his ear infections and fluid in his ear.
    It's such a scary thing to see your child put to sleep, and I was a mess each time. I was also 9 months pregnant when the second lot was done. Very hard to deal with.
    He was afraid of noises for a few days- toilet flushing and tv and things as he'd only had half his hearing for so long but that didn't last.
    His recovery was quite good, worse when his adenoids were taken. Just extremely groggy for a few hours, but didn't complain much of pain. I think the actual ear infections had been worse for him.
    I would see if you can get him on another smaller hospitals waiting list if that's possible and hopefully he'll get in quicker. But as we went public, I have no idea of the costs.
    I hope it all works out quickly for you both and solves the ear infections first try.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5thbubontheway For This Useful Post:

mandypiee  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by lolly137; 17-09-2015 at 19:56.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly137 For This Useful Post:

mandypiee  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my son has had 3 sets of grommets. We went private and it was about $1200 for surgeon, '$500 anesthetist. For a day stay in hospital it's about $1200. Plus drugs plus theatre costs.

The boys in hornsby are the best in Sydney. But yes expensive. Another person I highly recommend is dr Marlene Soma. Her rooms are in edgecliff and she works out of pow. I think she has shorter public lists.

Feel free to message me with questions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

mandypiee  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone. I might also ring the Westmead Childrens Hospital Dr suggested above and see what his fees are.

I had heard Dr Hannell in Hornsby is good but his prices are extremely high. She hasn't given me proper quote yet but not sure I can afford 5k plus if other people are paying 2-3k. Will do some further investigating. Don't think I can wait too long as he has been getting so sick from infections and Daycare is our culpit at the moment

I have to agree, it's hard watching them like this and the night waking is extremely difficult, especially since he was always such a good sleeper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know if you'll find this helpful, but ear, nose and throat problems are often a manifestation of dairy intolerance. Alot of people are intolerant to dairy (especially anglo-saxons) and don't realise it.

Perhaps you could try taking your little one off dairy (cow's milk and ALL related products -- cheese, yoghurt, ice cream, cream, chocolate, etc) and see if it makes a difference.

I'm talking from personal experience. We swapped from cow's milk to goat milk and have never looked back. My health has improved immensely and my daughters are rarely sick.

Just a suggestion.... do with it what you will.