+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which formula would you recommend for combined breast feeding & formula feeding?

I'm returning to work in a month and have been breast feeding my DS, who will be 5 months old when I return to work. I am planning on expressing once a day (don't think I'll have the time to express more than once a day) & breast feeding in the morning before work and in the evening after arriving home from work, but I will need to introduce some formula throughout the day. Having not used formula before I'm not sure where to start, any brands better than others? How would I go about introducing the formula? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I mixed feed with Karicare Aptamil Gold and it has been great for us. No issues with constipation - his poos are exactly the same as they were when he was exclusively BF.

It also doesn't have an offensive smell like some others do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I was going to mix feed I'd use a goats milk formula, it's really gentle on tummies and is the closest milk to human milk ..

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep goats milk formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We had the most success with Nan PRO.

Our DS was fed on EBM for a long time before we introduced formula, mainly because he wouldn't drink the formulas we tried him on. When I decided I wanted to cut off my breastmilk supply, we had to slowly introduce the formula by mixing it with my EBM. We gradually increased the ratio until he started taking just formula.

All babies are different, so it's hard to pick one that is best for all. You may need to try a few before you find the right one for your baby.

Goat formula does have a pretty good reputation, it does cost more though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    I mixed feed with Karicare Aptamil Gold and it has been great for us. No issues with constipation - his poos are exactly the same as they were when he was exclusively BF.

It also doesn't have an offensive smell like some others do.
    I use this one and no probs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heinz nurture was great for us! We went through nan pro gold which constipated her. Then onto nan ha, good but didn't hold her over well between feeds, definitely not 4 hours! Since she had reflux it meant there was always stuff in her belly to reflux. The Heinz is great.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

escapethefate  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used goats milk too it's the closest milk to human in terms of its structure and sweet like bm

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use Bellamy's Organic which is supposed to be quite similar to breast milk. It does make his poop much more breastmilky than other formulas

im not sure if it matters with an older bub, but we also use the slowest flow teats to stop him getting used to a faster-than-at-the-breast flow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another for goats milk formula Heard so many good reviews & it's supposed to be the closest to breast milk. Can be hard to get though, there are supply difficulties here in adelaide at the moment : (