+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyones child play golf?

Ds who is nearly 11, has played golf on and off since the age of 6, he's had lessons but mainly plays with his dad. He is now a member of the local club (its a small nine hole course we can see from our back yard), and goes and practices every afternoon after school, has proper lessons 1 day a week and plays in the men's Saturday comps. Seeing how interested he is in it and as physically he isn't allowed to play his beloved footy, id like to try and enter him in the jnr tournaments. We are in Qld and I'm not sure how to go about it. Does he have to be invited, can anyone sign up? id guess he needs a handicap? Any advice would be great. thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry OP - i dont have the answers to our questions but couldnt read without posting a reply.

Just wanted to say that as a 10 yr old i took up golf as i badly injured myself playing netball from the ages of 6 - 10. I just wanted to say that i absolutely loved playing golf and i think its a fantastic sport for juniors to get involved in. I also loved playing with my dad and playing against all of the adults in my local country club. They were some of the best memories of my childhood and early teens. Its so great to hear your son is enjoying it just as much as i did and i wish him all the best of luck in the junior tournaments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe ask your local club if there are any childrens comps in the area? I played as a kid-teenager & played in some junior competitions, but it was run through the local clubs. I think you had to be signed up with the local juniors. Don't think he would need a handicap but since he plays in the mens he probably could get one anyway (don't know what the process is now, but when I got mine you just needed 3 rounds with the womens/mens Saturday comp then you were given one based on that).
    Hope this helps, & good luck with his golf!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just suggest talking to the club. It also depends on how far he wants to take his golf as I know in WA there are lots of junior tournaments run through waga (WA golf association). I know this as I know someone who was australias top junior golfer before he went to the mend tournament, and my stepped was/is involved in the waga. But I'm fairly sure it all starts at a local level

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also played golf from a very young age, starting with sub-juniors when I was about 6. Basically, we would have a juniors competition every saturday morning which was run by a couple of the members (small country 9 hole course). Whenever a bigger event was coming up there would be flyers/entry forms etc handed out by the club at the junior comps on the weekends. I used to love playing in juniors, as once a month we'd also travel to other courses in the region to play against other clubs in their juniors competition. It's a fantastic sport for young people to play, great discipline, patience, history and rules/regulations, all essential for young people to learn. I can only hope my daughter enjoys it when I introduce it to her in a couple of years.

Another idea would be to grab the Golfing magazines that they have at pro shops/newsagents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies, I totally forgot about posting this question . We live on an island with only a 9 hole course and there isn't a lot of action over here for the kids. He is currently doing 36 holes as its a public holiday here today. Will take all your ideas on board,. He is a sports nut and really devastated he cant play football as he's hypotonia is too bad and the physio said he'd break too many bones. So I'm enjoying seeing him pursue another love he has found.