+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My uncle is the laziest man:
    When he was a young boy and was asked to help dry the dishes with his siblings ....he would deliberately drop them and break them.
    He was never asked to do the dishes again...........
    I think theres something in that for all of us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly Molly Mandy View Post
    My uncle is the laziest man:
    When he was a young boy and was asked to help dry the dishes with his siblings ....he would deliberately drop them and break them.
    He was never asked to do the dishes again...........
    I think theres something in that for all of us
    If my child did that, I'd confiscate toys/make him/her give up pocket money etc...to pay for broken dishes.

There's no excuses.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 11-08-2012 at 23:39.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seriously, and this is coming from a 'working' dad whose wife is a SAHM who does most of the cooking, cleaning etc Mon-Fri, I can't believe some of the comments on here like 'dads aren't around as much so don't know better', or 'well you know, they're not that good in the kitchen'.

It's about using your brain. We all have them. You open the pantry and see bread, cereal and two minute noodles. What are you feeding your child for breakfast?

Don't make excuses for amateurish parenting.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-08-2012),chameleon  (13-08-2012),delirium  (12-08-2012),Glover  (11-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (12-08-2012),Mod-Zeddie  (11-08-2012),MothersMilk  (12-08-2012),shelle65  (12-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Making a bowl of cereal is easier to put together then 2min noodles, and takes less time too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    You're assuming that there is always leave that can taken though. When DS was born DF took a week of unpaid leave - because he was a casual & had no paid leave available.
    this is just nit picking and irritating. Of course i do not speak for every single type of employment...but, i would assume, that MOST people who are earning the family wage would be in full time employment with leave available. This also would not work for single parents...but ffs...use some common sense and if the scenario doesn't work...don't try and apply it, it does not change the fact that i think that dads are equally capable and it would be a great idea for them to spend a week or so as the sahp and for the mum to spend a week out in the "working world" in some way (voluntary, short contract, temping, uni placement).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    Seriously, and this is coming from a 'working' dad whose wife is a SAHM who does most of the cooking, cleaning etc Mon-Fri, I can't believe some of the comments on here like 'dads aren't around as much so don't know better', or 'well you know, they're not that good in the kitchen'.

It's about using your brain. We all have them. You open the pantry and see bread, cereal and two minute noodles. What are you feeding your child for breakfast?

Don't make excuses for amateurish parenting.
    This

Also, I think maybe I didn't explain myself well enough in my OP - baby brain - but really this isn't about food. Feed your kids 2 min noodles, McDonald's, whatever. I also understand that in any relationship, each person has their strengths and weaknesses, and as a couple we help each other.

The point is, I suppose, is that I don't like the expectation that women know everything about child rearing and men are allowed to be lazier under the guise of 'him still learning to be a dad' or 'things come slower for men'.

I will have to learn as much as my DF, and I'm hoping we can do it together. Personally, if I was a man I would be really offended that I would be seen as being a 'good husband' for taking part in caring for my kids.

The mother isn't 'lucky' to have a partner in raising their children, it should just be this way IMO

Wow, why do these posts always seem so much longer than I intend them to be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can definitely see what you are saying and I see two sides to it. On one hand yes I agree, responsible parenting should apply to both parents and we can't just excuse men for not pulling their weight by using the it's a man thing or men are lazy argument.

However, I am a SAHM and my DD has just started solids, 2 meals a day, one at breakky, one at lunch. Yesterday DH got up to let me sleep in and he fed her her bottle and food. I woke up just as he was getting breakfast ready for her and I had to think, does DH know what food to give her, does he know how long to heat it for, does he know to use the disposable bibs if it's orange food. I left him to it to figure it out but realised, how would he know any of that stuff if he's not had to do it before and I'd never explained it to him.

I'd expect that after this he now knows what to feed, how much, how hot etc but can be excused for giving her just purée veg, instead of fruit or rice cereal, not heating it up at all and using the wrong bib.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DH was just as interested/excited when we started DS on solids, we prepared the food together, video and took photos of pretty much everything he ate for the first month! plus I kept telling him about BLW while I was researching it so he knew all about it, he was genuinely interested in the food we fed our child as I would assume all dads would be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My opinion is that nobody is perfect, I liked to let ex make his own parenting choices and sometimes they were different to those I would make but I just think he's as much her parent as I am, why is my way "the right" way automatically just because I'm the mother?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a serious 2 minute noodle craving.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazyaboutbubs For This Useful Post:

smidget3004  (12-08-2012),waitsee  (12-08-2012)