+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH and i swapped roles last week...he was stay at home parent and i was working (placement for uni).

we discussed what needed to be done, because he's not normally here (things like activities and timings) but the rest he did his way....including homeschooling our 8 year old! He did awesome, has a new appreciation for how busy i am and i have a new appreciation for being a working parent.

he stuffed up a few things, but so do I lol

Interestingly, he did much better when just left to it for a week, than he does when coming home from work and "helping"...but i think, now he knows how it all works and what needs doing...things will be better all the time.

I fully recommend it to any couple...swap roles...learn to appreciate the other and hopefully things will run smoother.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

smidget3004  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    I fully recommend it to any couple...swap roles...learn to appreciate the other and hopefully things will run smoother.
    This is why we're trying so hard to get more paternity leave! Baby steps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    This is why we're trying so hard to get more paternity leave! Baby steps

DH used a week of his holiday leave...it's not about paternity leave.

He is going to do the same for the next few years while i study...1-2 weeks of his annual leave will be taken for him to stay home with the kids while i do placement.

Why does the government need to make a new rule for dad's to get time...it's a choice they can make.

My kids are nearly 2 and 8...not newborns

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually I was going to delete that post as it didn't make sense to me and wasn't sure why I wrote it. My head us fuzzy today...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In my house it's probably different because DP is not DD's father... but honestly, I think so long as he feeds her I don't care what it is.

He gave her COKE when I wasn't around... I am anti-coke for DD... but I didn't complain. In our house food just falls to me... DP doesn't make/cook anything at all... it's my domain.

DP would never feed her healthily either because he doesn't feed himself like that. Health food is not a priority for him... though he agrees that healthy eating is a good idea for DD and any future children we have, he knows that food prep isn't his "job," in our home, so we're both okay with him feeding DD crap when he IS in charge of feeding her.

TBH, I think if he had to get her breakfast he wouldn't do 2 min noodles... he'd tell her to get herself some cereal. Healthier (because we don't have sugary, junky cereal in the house anyway), but that wouldn't be why he'd do it... he'd just figure it's the easiest, laziest option. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    DH used a week of his holiday leave...it's not about paternity leave.

He is going to do the same for the next few years while i study...1-2 weeks of his annual leave will be taken for him to stay home with the kids while i do placement.

Why does the government need to make a new rule for dad's to get time...it's a choice they can make.

My kids are nearly 2 and 8...not newborns
    You're assuming that there is always leave that can taken though. When DS was born DF took a week of unpaid leave - because he was a casual & had no paid leave available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not 'a man thing' lets not make gender stereotypes people for example: sometimes IM the lazy one hahaha

I fed DD noodles for dinner the other night because I was feeling lazy and DH was not home for dinner
    DH was upset with me and said I should have given her broccoli ....!?

When he makes her breakfast he puts so much sweet yoghurt on her cereal it's incredible.
    I try not to criticize but I'm thing OMG sugar overload!

Sometimes I buy her hungry jacks (3 nuggets and water!) which he thinks Is terrible of me.
    And by the way I'm pregnant and if I'm craving a whopper junior then by god I'm bloody well having one!!!!! Hahaha

My point is that times arise when each parent does something the other may not do, but i think each parent needs to respect that the other is their own individual person and constant criticism is the worst thing in a relationship.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-08-2012),Amiedoll  (11-08-2012),Ellewood  (12-08-2012),shelle65  (11-08-2012),Starfish30  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be cranky if DH gave our child 2 min noodles for breakfast. He is only just learning how to cook though as he was never shown as he was growing up, and lived with his parents until I came along, his mum did everything for him

BUT in saying that, I believe I will be learning just as much as him when bubs comes along and its something we will do together.

He has no qualms about telling me what he thinks if I am eating badly (whilst pregnant) or not looking after our animals 100% so I would expect us to both have opinions on our childs needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly Molly Mandy View Post
    It's not 'a man thing' lets not make gender stereotypes people for example: sometimes IM the lazy one hahaha

I fed DD noodles for dinner the other night because I was feeling lazy and DH was not home for dinner
    DH was upset with me and said I should have given her broccoli ....!?

When he makes her breakfast he puts so much sweet yoghurt on her cereal it's incredible.
    I try not to criticize but I'm thing OMG sugar overload!

Sometimes I buy her hungry jacks (3 nuggets and water!) which he thinks Is terrible of me.
    And by the way I'm pregnant and if I'm craving a whopper junior then by god I'm bloody well having one!!!!! Hahaha

My point is that times arise when each parent does something the other may not do, but i think each parent needs to respect that the other is their own individual person and constant criticism is the worst thing in a relationship.
    I have had terrible morning sickness since may but unfortunately I still have two children to Feed ... Noodles are my lazy dinner ... I usually steam some carrots and peas too .., (my fave bit is when the kids pick out the veggies) so another lazy mum here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Men aren't stupid, and I think it's a cop out to say they don't know what to do, there's 2 words for this..... learned helplessness.

Men are not worse at cooking or child raising but the reason they come across that way is 1) they don't practice as much so to speak. I cook every night so I've gotten good at knowing when the steak is cooked. Lots of men don't cook much so aren't as skilled.... yet some of the best chefs in the world are men, isn't that funny? 2) it's easier to say they don't know what to do, can't cook it right bc then the woman takes over and stops asking... learned helplessness.

My DH is slack with the chores but he's great with the kids. He will make them healthy food, bath them, read them stories at night. He's involved. I'm not a better parent bc I'm a woman, infact in some respects I think he's a better parent than me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (11-08-2012)