+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    If I was still doing things I'd tell my kids not to do, then that would be hypocritical.
    But as it stands today, I don't do anything that I wouldn't want my kids doing when they are older.
    As for past experiences and things I did, it's part of living and I can't guarantee my children wont do them, I'll just discourage it and educate them as to why I discourage it. I guess I didn't really do anything overly 'bad' and I do put a lot of the things I did down to complete rebellion. I plan to parent differently to what my parents did, and handle things differently, and I think by doing so that my children won't really NEED to rebel, and that we would have an open, honest and trusting relationship.
    Exactly this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I will not be sharing all my life's experiences with my kids.

That being said, I'd like my kids to learn from my mistakes not repeat them.

They already know that I used to smoke, they already know how much money I wasted by smoking and how much risk I placed in my health by smoking. Hopefully they'll understand my mistake and not repeat it.

There are other things I've done that done that they don't need to know about but I will be compassionate should they ever find themselves in trouble for things I hit away with.

I have learnt from my own parents mistakes and dome best to ensure I don't repeat those mistakes - including having compassion for my kids when they do make mistakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wont be going into every gory detail There are some things they don't need to know. I will tell them the things I have done in basic terms and answer any questions they have....hopefully it will give me some credibilty in their eyes, that I do know what I am talking about, who knows? I know kids need to sometimes find out for themselves but we can all do the best we can with what we have hey?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Nowhere  (11-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I work of the thinking that we all make mistakes and do things we wish we didnt, ( although im sure there are some perfect hubbers that havent lol) i dont think that means that its hyporcritical to not encourage our kids not to make the same mistakes.

I would cover my self with the line yes I did but i want better for YOU and you should want better for your self.

My dad didnt smoke when I started smoking he handt for years but we had seen pics and remember him having a smoke years before but he said that when he smokes there was not the anti smoking campaigns that they are now it wasnt known HOW bad it was.

I think hiding things from our kids so we can not sound hypocritical is much worse cause the back fire if they find otu is going to sting.

As far as things people still do, if i smoked ( im dont) and didnt want my kids to i would be still be telling them that smoking is bad and i would think it would be a dam good insentive to quit to

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-08-2012),MissMuppet  (11-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I wont be going into every gory detail There are some things they don't need to know. I will tell them the things I have done in basic terms and answer any questions they have....hopefully it will give me some credibilty in their eyes, that I do know what I am talking about, who knows? I know kids need to sometimes find out for themselves but we can all do the best we can with what we have hey?

agree for sure, telling them the facts admiting to what one has done but not telling them the whole seedy detail lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    agree for sure, telling them the facts admiting to what one has done but not telling them the whole seedy detail lol
    YEs, lol. Carefully chosen words

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yep, i lead by example NOW...they didn't know/see me when i was a teen/young adult and i don't see how advising them to not do some of the silly things I did now as making me a hypocrite...i feel more that i would be lax in my duty as a parent not to share the wisdom I have gained.

That said...i want them to live and have fun...but without some of the dangers I faced. I am more aware of the world than my parents were...but, as an example.

My mum drilled into my sister and I not to marry young, not to marry because we felt we had to and not to marry because we wanted to have sex lol She did...and she regretted it, was in an abusive marriage and it took her ages to get the courage to leave. She also told us, that if we were unhappy in our marriage and had tried all to fix it, then to leave and she would always be there.

Now, is she a hypocrite for telling us not to follow her path? NOPE...she is sharing her wisdom.

I already talk to DS about dancing all night and seeing the sunrise...and I hope he does this at least a few times in his life...with a great bunch of friends etc...but, as he gets older we will go more into the dangers of drugs etc and I hope he does not follow my destructive path of my early 20's (it was messy).

I think, by sharing our knowledge in a respectful way...it helps our kids. I am not big on being a total authoritarian...but, i will certainly try and guide him. DS and I had a massive talk yesterday (long car trip with just the 2 of us) that started as he made up a song about suicide...we spoke about how there was never ever anything he could do that would make me not want him around and how, if he ever felt low or sad, that he should come to me first. We talked about depression and making stupid decisions and sometimes even the best people do things that go against their own morals...and these things, no matter how bad, needed to be talked about and accepted as a mistake.

I will lead my kids towards the best path possible...and be there to help them back onto their path when ever they need it. It's not one convo when they are 18...it's a million convo's from when they are born. DS is 8...and I hope we never ever stop talking and being honest with each other...this means that when he is 18 or 25...he will still come to me for guidance, not for me to demand he do things.