+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Do as I say, not as I do? SPINOFF!

Spinoff from the schoolies thread!

In regards to parenting as your kids get older.

I am in two minds. For example If I was a smoker (which I'm not) I guess I would find it hard to tell them not to smoke (though I would still try and educate them if I wasn't in the position to stop smoking.) However, as an ex, very heavy smoker, I will certainly be telling them I did used to smoke and the reasons why I don't think it's a good idea.

I did alot of things as a teen and young adult that I wouldn't want for them in a million year. I am going to be honest about it but I don't think it makes me a hypocrit for not wanting them to go down that path. I will certainly be sharing experiences regarding drugs, drinking, unsafe s.ex, etc and hoping this plays a part in the choices they make. I certainly fdon't think that just because I made mistakes, went down wrong paths that it gives me no right to encourage them not to. It would be different I guess if I was still doing those things now.

WDYT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Spot on. Doesn't make you a hypocrite at all just a parent coming from experience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I think as parents it is our job to steer them towards the right path no matter what paths we took.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For me, I will be telling them (if they want to know) about what I did, why I did it, and what I do and don't regret. I will try to be honest and open and hope that they learn from my mistakes! But once they are adults I can't stop them making their own choices.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think I didn't anything to bad... Their was a few times when in high school I did something bad. When I got older I did the norm like clubbing ect but no drugs... I'll be honest and try and steer these kids in the right direction... It's really all I can do

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps a case of 'Do as I say, not as I did'.

My kids are being raised in a very different environment from me though, so hopefully they'll follow a very different path to adulthood too.

I think its wise to learn from our mistakes, and to learn from the mistakes of others - so I'll be encouraging my kids to learn from my mistakes.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are some things about my past that I will not share with my children. I just don't think it is appropriate. And of course I will be parenting in a do as I say not as I do attitude,I won't be encouraging the types of things I did. But if they do follow the same path I did, I will share what I can with them, even though I know they can't learn through my mistakes. I will try and guide them as best I can...

See its thinking about this kind of stuff that freaks me out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Perhaps a case of 'Do as I say, not as I did'.

Well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If I was still doing things I'd tell my kids not to do, then that would be hypocritical.
    But as it stands today, I don't do anything that I wouldn't want my kids doing when they are older.
    As for past experiences and things I did, it's part of living and I can't guarantee my children wont do them, I'll just discourage it and educate them as to why I discourage it. I guess I didn't really do anything overly 'bad' and I do put a lot of the things I did down to complete rebellion. I plan to parent differently to what my parents did, and handle things differently, and I think by doing so that my children won't really NEED to rebel, and that we would have an open, honest and trusting relationship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    If I was still doing things I'd tell my kids not to do, then that would be hypocritical.
    But as it stands today, I don't do anything that I wouldn't want my kids doing when they are older.
    As for past experiences and things I did, it's part of living and I can't guarantee my children wont do them, I'll just discourage it and educate them as to why I discourage it. I guess I didn't really do anything overly 'bad' and I do put a lot of the things I did down to complete rebellion. I plan to parent differently to what my parents did, and handle things differently, and I think by doing so that my children won't really NEED to rebel, and that we would have an open, honest and trusting relationship.
    I feel exactly the same. Except for maybe my bubhub addiction...I am not being a good role model there.