+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mater public vs private Southbank

Hi. So after receiving a serious diagnosis on our baby's heart at our 20 week scan I can no longer give birth at John Flynn hospital on the Gold Coast. All our care is now being done at the Mater at Southbank. However, I'm trying to decide whether to still go private or public there? We know the baby will be fully taken care of and already have a team of people looking after that side of things.
    But for my obstetric care, birth/labour and hospital stay I'm undecided about whether to go private still or just go public at the mater.
    My main concerns being continuity of care (high risk pregnancy) and having some familiar faces when I'm in labour etc (a team of paediatric surgeons and special care people will be present at birth for the baby). I've got an appointment with babyarrivals, the private group practice across the road at mater on Monday but I do need to decide on Monday ($$$ factor too).
    Would love some advice or experience about the public vs private birth at mater, your hospital stay (did you get pushed out/private room) and the obstetricians.
    Please if you can help I would welcome your advice or knowledge!!! I'm pretty confused about it all right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry things haven't gone to plan! I hope your little one is ok.

My GP said that they end up sending high risk to the public anyway as the public has more facilities than the private. If you're concerned about continuity of care I would probably just go to the public, as you may end up there anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good point. That's what I was possibly thinking. Except it's unusual because it's bubs who is high risk, I'm relatively normal!! Haha.
    Think I'm more worried about having to share a room (I don't want that at all) and also bring hassled to leave before I'm ready, especially since bub will most likely be in NICU or special care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At Mater Southbank the public and private patients use the same labour facilities and theatres, same with the NICU and SCU. The only difference is in the private wards (in the same building just different floors) you get a single room with ensuite, and there is sofa bed for the partner to stay overnight. In the public ward, you are in a 4-bedder, and partners aren't allowed to stay overnight (your private health insurance should pay the whole cost of your hospital fee minus the excess). And the other difference is that you don't have a private obstetrician, anaesthetist and paediatrician, you just get whoever assigned to your case (but minus the hefty fees attached to that priviledge).

Public or private the service at Mater is great. I had bub privately recently and there is nothing to complain about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok, I didn't you shared the labour facilities.

There are a couple of single rooms in the public, so they could give you special consideration and put you in there of they agreed it was necessary. My friend was put in her own room in the public because she had a traumatic birth. Her DH couldn't stay, but she had privacy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. We went private on gold coast so DH could stay. I hadn't really factored that in at the mater til now. Had forgotten!! Haha. Though he won't be far I guess if I go private. We will be staying right near mater from about 37 weeks either at an apartment or Ronald McDonald house.
    Argh. I want to go private I think but it costs a lot more at mater than I'd initially budgeted for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by sm11; 05-08-2013 at 22:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sm11. They did suggest to me I might get a private room going public since bub will be 'special'! But I'm not sure I want to take the risk.
    Would I be guaranteed a private room if I go private???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any other opinions?