+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Im thinking we may sleep a few hours before going

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We drove from Vic to bundaberg a couple of years ago.. 24 hours of driving and we left home at about 3 in the afternoon and drove straight through.
    We had dd1 and dd2 who were 4 and 2 and would not cope with full days of driving and we didn't have the time to take a few days to get there.

My suggestions are:
    - take lots of different snacks and drinks for yourself and DH and kids,
    - a roll of toilet paper (we also took a potty for dd's)
    - panadol or nurofen for you and kids (ours both came down with conjunctivitis on the way and woke up with their eyes stuck closed around 2-3am ).
    - plan your stops around petrol stations and check if they're open 24 hours. (we came close to empty as one of our stops included a fuel stop where there wasn't an open station between 7pm and 7am)
    - we stopped at a big roadhouse for tea and to change the kids into pjs and brush teeth at their regular bedtime. Then stopped in the morning at another roadhouse for them to get dressed and have breaky at normal time before setting of again.
    - you probably won't need to stop 2 hourly except to swap drivers, we thought we'd need to have rest stops more often but instead we had 4 decent stops (30mins to an hour and a half) and just stopped for toilet breaks/driver swaps as needed.

DVD players in the back seats were a lifesaver for the kids as well.

It wasn't an ideal drive but it worked. We wouldn't do it again because we now have DS and another due soon so driving all night with 4 would be a bit crazy. Each time one woke up the other would as well which we didn't really think about.. Silly really as neither have ever been good sleepers.

As for kangaroos, trucks, etc. trucks were only an issue when we hadn't seen anything on the road for awhile and then the lights would be pretty blinding but otherwise no issue, we only saw kangaroos twice. Once during the night eating grass on a roadside and once during the day a mob of about 8 crossed the road causing us to brake but well away from them. We did have to brake hard to miss an Emu that ran out from the bush near the nsw/qld border, and scared the poop out of us all.

Sorry for the long post! We got a lot of the same comments from people that had never attempted a long overnight drive and it got pretty annoying so thought I'd offer some useful info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Amira  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Syd traffic is horrible and I'd suggest you plan to arrive/leave well before/after peak hour. We drove bris-Syd overnight stop at port macquarie and Syd-bris straight.

Going to Syd we left port Macquarie at 6am so got to Syd at midday and into our hotel at 2pm.

Leaving Syd - we left at 4am and had brekky at taree at 7 ish. We had a 4mth old on both drives.

I agree - daytime driving is a good idea ESP via new England highway. But you can do pacific hwy at night - but You end up at 40k/hr thru so many patches to avoid kangaroos

You can easily night drive bris-ballina Or Syd- Newcastle as the roads are well lit and kangaroo free. So I recommend you plan around that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done the drive many times. Mostly leaving around 3pm and driving thru the night. Because I'm near Wagga, I go the Newell Highway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Driving Sydney to Brisbane at night isnt so bad. Yes there will be more trucks but just use your common sense. Remember they are much bigger and cant slow down as easy as a car.
    Definately plan for petrol as mentioned before not all service stations are 24hours but you can probably find that out online.
    When we did the trip we left Brisbane around 9-10am and got home at 10pm i think (or later). We were exhausted. If I had my choice again I'd break the trip in two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've done the trips more times than I could remember but never overnight. I wouldn't do it overnight.
    We generally stop overnight half way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is your DS, OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We used to drive Sydney to Brisbane as a family when I was younger almost every year. We usually made a stop in tamworth though so not straight through. We always drove at night and Dad was fine with that and having the 4 of us kids in the car. He took breaks as needed and we had snacks. The others all slept, I liked to stay awake and watch

DP and i have driven from Brisbane to Sydney when DS was 14 months old during the day and it wasn't my favourite drive ever but he did okay. Drove straight through with our friend as a second driver. DS slept in the car and I had my laptop for movies. I don't think DP realised how often we would have to stop to change nappies or just let DS have a break and stretch his legs out of the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we drove overnight once thinking the kids would sleep. They didn't. Had catnaps only. Made for a long trip. We now leave about 4am to avoid major traffic. If we're having an overnight stop we try getting there mid afternoon so the kids have time to play and muck about before bedtime. We do lots of 1000+ km trips to get to family. I still hate them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your tips and advise!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub