+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advise and tips .. Driving from brisbane to sydney!

My little family will be driving to sydney next week.. But the last few days ppl have been freaking us out about the.drive and we are starting to double guess our plans We are planning to leave at 7pm and drive though the night stopping every 2 hours for coffee and a walk around. Ppl have been saying things like road trains drive u off the rd and kangaroos jump infront of your car. We need lots of tips and advise for the big trip please!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did Sydney to Brisbane and back last month.
    Drove in the daytime and stopped overnight in Coff's harbour both ways. Stopped every couple of hours for food/ toilet stops, etc.
    There are long stretches of road with just nothing- no light- if you had a flat tyre it would be difficult to change it in the dark. Also, lots of trucks are on the road at night.
    Daytime driving (with an early start) is much safer IMO.

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg I have done this drive about a billion times, it is awesome. Nothing to worry about. Are you going coast road or inland? Trucks are not a problem as long as you dont muck around ie go super slow in front of them or things like that. You should have a really good drive

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going inland.. We have racq and a torch lol.. Going at night so ds can sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would you consider stopping the nite, maybe at coffs? We've done it a few times and it is a really long drive! I found it toughest at nite coz as PP said there are long stretches of road without any light whatsoever and can get quite draining.

As for kangaroos, nothing u can really do about them - it happens so quickly u barely have time to react. I haven't hit one yet, but hubby's hit two in his ute, both times the kangaroo won - pretty got ding in the car.

As for tips - pack a lotta snacks / drinks. Don't drive to slow in front of big trucks, if u are at speed limit then move over and let them pass, or they'll ride your a**. And watch out for cops around Taree!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'll be driving Sydney to surfers in decenber
    I'm leaving 8am stopping every 3 hours and sleeping a coffs harbour. I think I'd get to tired driving one one long road a night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done it a few times but never with dd so I imagine it would be really difficult to do in the daytime. We visit family 3 hrs away and it's so hard to keep her entertained even if we do stop every hour!
    The inland way is a really nice drive. I did the coast road by myself a few years ago and left really early so it wouldn't get dark but most recently, dh and I drove inland and we did it in one go. Of course there are concerns about the trucks and it being night time etc etc but I think as long as you are sensible about it, leave lots of room between trucks, be alert and stop if you are feeling tired, you should have a great trip! The scariest thing happened to dh and I a few months ago on a long drive and a truck driver must have had a micro sleep so he drifted into our lane. Luckily dh is a good driver and also luckily we had room to swerve out of the way. Just be aware of what is around you. I hope you have a great trip!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did it recently with a 4 month old and 23 month old. Also recommend day driving and overnight in Coffs. We only had to stop a couple of times between Sydney and Coffs and just Googled playgrounds so Ds1 could play and DS2 got a feed. Snacks, singing and games kept ds1 occupied!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am another that prefers the idea of day driving. This inland road is good but I would usggest going during the day and stopping overnight at Muswellbrook or somewhere around there.

Even though you have the RACQ, if you are out of a mobile service area at 2am, you are in a really bad situation.

Maybe consider loading up a media player with movies, getting games, books, cds of kids songs and just sucking it up and doing the day time drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have done the drive heaps but never overnight. We always left like 4or5 in the morning or even as late as 6 and would arrive in afternoon/evening.
    We have 2 kids and they sleep most of the way or just muck around so isn't too bad