+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rural IVFer struggling with lack of support from clinic

Hi All - I am afraid this is a bit of a vent thread...

I am on my third FET cycle, after 2 failed FET's and a hyperstim fresh cycle - transfer cancelled.

We are located in rural NSW (Central West) and chose to attend a very reputable clinic in Westmead, and I feel we are paying a hefty price for treatment because of this. After a phone call tonight from a rude nurse, I feel as though my patience is running out.

I am really tired of getting a different nurse every time I speak to the clinic. Most of them don't know me, and aren't familiar with my back story. I know 2 of the nurses, and I don't feel that I am asking too much to limit my contact to 2 nurses when available.

I also feel that I am nearly treating myself! In my last cycle, I had to call the clinic and prompt them to get my pre-transfer bloods done to check progesterone. In fact I am often calling them to "prompt" them for the next step.

After, my last failed cycle I called to let them know AF had arrived. They organised a blood test - Neg of course, and all levels low enough to start new cycle. Please await call from doctor - waited, called several times, started my own injections on day 5, at a dose I decided was reasonable and called the nurses again - "oh good, you did the right thing" they said. What kind of treatment is this??

And they constantly forget I don't have access to facilities on the weekend, and blood results are not available before 3:30pm at the earliest. They got me to take my 10 day bloods today (Friday) - and what are they going to do with the results now? The ultrasound clinic is not open until Monday. Surely a Thursday test would have made more sense - my estrogen was already over 300 on Monday. Grrr!

Are any other rural ladies struggling with the distance/facilities issue? Am I expecting too much, or being unreasonable? I feel so frustrated right now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I must say I used to live in your area and know what a distance it would be for you to travel to Westmead. I think I know which one your referring to and I went to their clinic in castle hill. I live about 40 mins from the clinic now and had experienced much the same treatment.. They're not great with communication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ezzabee, I assume they got you there in the end though?

Is it normal to get so many different nurses?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered the Sydney ivf clinic in Orange? It's got a very very good success rate and the support is exceptional

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not rural, but I changed clinics just before starting the IVF stage because I was p*ssed with the lack of monitoring while I was on clomid - no bloods, scans etc each month except for once when they were prompted by me. As far as I am concerned, if we are paying a fortune for this process, we have the right to the best service possible! It is so worth changing if you aren't happy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up not requiring IVF and fell after 7 cycles of clomid.. A break in between a couple.. The first few were prescribed by GP and then FS came into the picture at about cycle 5 and upped my metformin dosage.
    Sorry to butt in on your thread as I haven't had IVF but have been through the constant monitoring, ( or what is supposed to be) and bloods and meds etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a different nurse all the time. The only consistency was when I'd have bloods done in the morning the same nurse would phone me that afternoon with results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ezzabee - your not crashing! assisted cycles are all pretty similar, I did 3 of clomid (no ovulation) 7 of FSH OI, before going to IVF. They all take a lot of monitoring and effort!

MiniMaes- I hadn't even thought of Orange, but I think that's a really good idea. I am going to look into changing if this cycle doesn't work!

Thanks Ellymoe, I think we pay an extraordinary amount which is worth it with success but hurts the hip pocket each failure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had such a great experience with Orange, I'm days away from giving birth to our 2nd! There are only two nurses and it's very personal care loads of collection centres for pathology and usound in the cw and weekend service. You also get an after hours mobile for the nurses. I must say acupuncture also helped us immensely with increasing my levels. I have had 3 transfers and 2 with acupuncture resulting in 2 pregnancies. I can't explain why it works but it does. It's also been proven by a university study in SA worth googling. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    IVF is such an emotional, nerve wracking and hard thing to go through at the best of times... I definitely think being a rural patient makes it much harder. My clinic is very good in being prompt and returning calls etc, but I still find it difficult to live so far from clinic. So I can't even imagine how stressful it must be for you. (I am about 15 hr drive or 2 hour flight from my clinic).

if they can't even return a call or keep you up to date with your treatment plan and YOU are having to make decisions like dosages, I would definitely be saying something and looking into another clinic! Definitely not good enough.

I think you need to talk to them and tell them your concerns.