+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chronic constipation pls help

I posted this in bf section but really need the help.

My DD almost 9 months has been severely constipated for about 6 weeks. We started BLW at 6 months and everything went great. She ate a variety of fruit, veg, meat and occasionally rye and other grains. No problems at all in the poop department.

Then one day I realised she hadn't pooped for arpund 5 days and freaked out as when EBF she went 3/4 times a day. Over the next three days I gave her everyone home remedy there is and eventually she passed a BM larger than a golf ball and had some blood etc it was horrific. So we stopped all food for a week and breastfed (once every second day she could have some pears) after that we started on mainly veg in small amounts and again 6 days passed and another golf ball, again horrific.

So after that all she ate was pears, prunes, peas, peaches, cucumber, broccoli and blueberries. Again she went 7 days only this time I noticed she was purposefully holding it. If she started pushing she would gasp and then go play to distract herself. Finally on day 7 she pooed so so much but it was all soft.

Now I just need some help or advice on what to do. At the moment im just breastfeeding with one small meal a day of fruit or green veg because she enjoys eating. It's now three days and today she did one tiny tiny poo. Is it ok for me to keep it like this? To just breastfeed (food before one is just for fun and all that) I was hoping because her pops were softer she wouldn't be scared but she's still having trouble.
    I'm so lost and so upset for my DD.

We have a ped app for 6 weeks (yes ridiculous) and DDs GPs advice was to breastfeed less and give her water mixed with lemonade, custard and potatoes! Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were recently experiencing a less intense version in 7 month old DD. I read in a few books that it can happen to BF babies as Breastmilk is so easy to digest and food is an adjustment to their digestive system. Everything I've read says prioritize milk and follow half an hour later with food. We are doing that and things have improved for her. Also increased water with her meals from a sippy cup. Avoid rice cereal, apples and most of all bananas apparently.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jumski For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had reflux and the slightest hint of constipation would make him scream & stop sleeping so I feel your pain. But if bubs is holding onto poo for a week and it's soft I think that's still normal for a BF bub.

I suggest meals of pear, plum (or prunes - same thing), apricots, peaches are a good start. I gave my ds one meal of these each day. And avoid custard, farex & banana (pear & banana puree is ok). I find with my dd peas, sweetcorn and maybe to a lesser extent apple seem to irritate her (she has a bit of colic, but not reflux).

The other thing to suggest is that if you think she has pain when she's trying to push out a poo you could try panadol when you notice her behaviour suggesting she's in pain.

Otherwise keep BFing and offer water if she'll take it as well. My ds had lactulose prescribed by the Paed (it's over the counter though), but I would wait to see the Paed to see what he/she thinks before offering it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to add I bf on demand basically around 8-10 breastfeeds in 24 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes agree it's normal for breastfed but she filled 4 nappies and only went because she had drunk about 400ml of prune juice and eaten maybe 15 prunes. For the first two months of solids she went every 2nd day at most and it was still smooth. And the soft poo wass just on breastmilk and minimal food.

She shrieks, screams, shakes, cries if she can't stop herself from pushing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had some issues when starting solids. Try purée cherries, they worked great. I used the tinned ones as there were no fresh ones at the time. I alternated a serve or two of prune, pear or cherry puree each day.

Also if things get bad you can use glycerin suppositories but these can't be used all the time. You can get them for children at the pharmacy.

If your bub will drink from a bottle or cup encourage more water too. It all helps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleo77 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-08-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD was severely constipated for at least 6 weeks and she was bottle fed. She was the worst the nurses had seen. Even going 11 days without a poop one time (this was when she was older, about 4.5 months at this stage. To which the scans and xrays showed she didnt have anything in there).

She would scream in agony, go all shades of red, shake badly, shiver and the rest. I would cry my eyes out every time she went through this. Which could of been up to 4 times a day.

We had to give her medicine to help her go, give her water several times a day (about 30mls before and after a milk feed and in between), do the bicycle (rotate her legs to help her get it out), tummy masages (again to help her body processes the stools) and take it easy with food etc. We would make sure her food had liquids with it etc to help her.

Im sorry you are experiencing this, I know my advice is probably useless but I can sympathise with you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i went to dr's at rch for dd2's constipation. she did get put on actilax however recommendation was minimal starchy stuff (potatoes, bread, rice, pasta) and lots of fruit and veg. Also went to a nutritionist for advice and it didn't matter if fruit was fresh or not. It slowly improved. (p.s. it is horrific watching them go through such pain (looked like our dd was giving birth - was horrible) we also had to give the occasional suppository.

Just wanted to add.. she is absolutely fine now! Not a worry in the world. It should pass once you get her diet right for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I always see coeliac in everyone, but constipation can be a symptom of it. Keep it in mind, good luck - poor little thing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if it would help in your circumstances but it wouldnt hurt to go and see a chiro. My DS is currently seeing one for flat head, and he was just saying the other day that he'd just seen a really constipated baby and got him to poop within an hour of working on him😃. Make sure you see one that's experienced with babies though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellaleggos For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-08-2012)