+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chronic constipation HELP :(

This could go in many sections but I guess I need the most advice from experienced breastfeeders!

My DD almost 9 months has been severely constipated for about 6 weeks. We started BLW at 6 months and everything went great. She ate a variety of fruit, veg, meat and occasionally rye and other grains. No problems at all in the poop department.

Then one day I realised she hadn't pooped for arpund 5 days and freaked out as when EBF she went 3/4 times a day. Over the next three days I gave her everyone home remedy there is and eventually she passed a BM larger than a golf ball and had some blood etc it was horrific. So we stopped all food for a week and breastfed (once every second day she could have some pears) after that we started on mainly veg in small amounts and again 6 days passed and another golf ball, again horrific.

So after that all she ate was pears, prunes, peas, peaches, cucumber, broccoli and blueberries. Again she went 7 days only this time I noticed she was purposefully holding it. If she started pushing she would gasp and then go play to distract herself. Finally on day 7 she pooed so so much but it was all soft.

Now I just need some help or advice on what to do. At the moment im just breastfeeding with one small meal a day of fruit or green veg because she enjoys eating. It's now three days and today she did one tiny tiny poo. Is it ok for me to keep it like this? To just breastfeed (food before one is just for fun and all that) I was hoping because her pops were softer she wouldn't be scared but she's still having trouble.
    I'm so lost and so upset for my DD.

We have a ped app for 6 weeks (yes ridiculous) and DDs GPs advice was to breastfeed less and give her water mixed with lemonade, custard and potatoes! Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi etienne, reading your post reminded me of my DD's change in poos around intro to solids. We also stated solids at 6 months (fully BF until that point) and I remember at one stage she didn't poo for almost a week. Freaked me out as she was always so regular (at least 1x per day). And i remember her straining and crying trying to go, as well as little bit of blood. It happened again a few times that she didn't go for 5 days or so, then it all was fine again. I put it down to her body getting used to solids. We also did BLW as she hated a spoon.

I didn't do anything other than give her more pears and I kept up BF as I always assumed BF was good for constipation. Best of luck, hopefully the situation will improve for you guys soon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zee153 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and it's probably worth a call to the ABA to see what their advice is. I generally check their website too and the info is usually really helpful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zee153 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a friend who swears by using a potty. As soon as her little girl starts straining, she whips off the nappy and pops her on. They sit there with some toys etc until she goes.

My friend is convinced that it's much easier for her to go on the potty than in a nappy and it didn't take long for her to get the hang of it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks zee I hadn't even thought of that!

And squishie I actually considering that. I might try it. The first time this happened I took her nappy off to see if it would help. I also tried getting in the bath with her and feeding to see if she'd go in there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your poor bubba

Have you considered seeing a naturopath? They might have some better ideas than your GP's strange suggestion of water, lemonade, custard and potatoes!!

I'm not speaking from experience here to feel free to ignore me, but I went to a seminar recently where there was a fantastic naturopath and when one of the audience asked about their breastfed baby's constipation one if the first things she suggested was a good probiotic. You could possibly ask a pharmacist about a good probiotic for babies?

Really hope you can get her going and that she loses her fear, poor little thing

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AllCreatures For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (10-08-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i think it os pretty common for babies, from memory it is nothing to worry about but pear juice or pureed is the best thing to help. i agree with contacting the ABA is a good idea.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    AllCreatures my Dp has a naturopath she sees but we have to travel to see him as we're In regional SA. I also had thought about a probiotic.
    I'm just stressed because the past month shes barely eaten anything besides mass amounts of pears and prunes and as soon as she eats anything else it becomes a giant rock.
    I could deal with tiny pellets but this is really big and obviously painful.

I really hope the ped isn't as useless as the GPs here.

The lemonade was suggest because "most" babies don't like water

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    AllCreatures my Dp has a naturopath she sees but we have to travel to see him as we're In regional SA. I also had thought about a probiotic.
    I'm just stressed because the past month shes barely eaten anything besides mass amounts of pears and prunes and as soon as she eats anything else it becomes a giant rock.
    I could deal with tiny pellets but this is really big and obviously painful.

I really hope the ped isn't as useless as the GPs here.

The lemonade was suggest because "most" babies don't like water
    I wish I could help with advice on what you're really asking - whether it's ok for her only to be eating those particular things. Maybe someone else can help on that?

Good luck with it, I hope this resolves for you xx