+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cianson View Post
    Both my husband and I were raised in extremely supportive Christian families. My MIL and my parents always attended church, and we were taught from a young age about God. From the age of 14 I had the choice whether to come to church or not (before that we weren't allowed to stay home on our own at any time) and I continued going to church until I was 21. 4 years of being away from my faith and I realised I wholly believed what I had been taught growing up and returned to my faith. My children will learn about religion at school and we will discuss at home, but we intend to raise our children in a supportive Christian family, where they feel no condemnation if they want to make other decisions but will be equipped with the understanding of why we believe what we do. Sorry for super long post but there is always so much negativity about Christian upbringings, and it's not always like that.
    I love love this post this is exactly what we're aiming to do.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (11-08-2012),share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    How did i not expect something like this...whay do i even bother!!!
    Yes! Why bother posting ignorant comments?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-08-2012),Eko  (12-08-2012),F&A  (11-08-2012),FearlessLeader  (11-08-2012),share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You didn't expect a Muslim member to take offense at being told that within her religion she is a second class citizen?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-08-2012),Eko  (12-08-2012),Little Miss Mum  (11-08-2012),share a book  (11-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (11-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Mum View Post
    I believe your a very naive person. I am a Muslim and I am no second rate citizen my husband worships the ground I walk on lol pls stop embarrassing yourself when your only education on the topic is via media and not by opening and reading a book to learn... You will be very surprised...
    I would whole heartedly agree that the media is rubbish at providing balanced views. I was wondering if you could point me (and anyone else who is interested) in the direction of some reading or viewing material where we might learn more about the habbits and beliefs of everyday Australian muslims?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think I worded myself wrongly.

I'm afraid that my old school ways may not be acceptable to them. And I'm not sure how 'modern' I should be with their children. I don't want to overstep the line.
    That's fair enough - maybe you need to discuss what everyone thinks the expectations around being godparents are to everybody. I'm guessing they've asked you because they think you're a wonderful choice for their child.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I would whole heartedly agree that the media is rubbish at providing balanced views. I was wondering if you could point me (and anyone else who is interested) in the direction of some reading or viewing material where we might learn more about the habbits and beliefs of everyday Australian muslims?
    The Quran is the best place to start or I have a great book called Islam the straight path by John Esposito

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I'm a seventh day Adventist and am raising ds the same. We discuss other religions...at the moment he loves coming to church but if / when he doesn't I won't force him. Spirituality in my opinion must come from the heart, it's pointless if it's practiced only because your forced..
    Yep, this! I'm a NON practicing Seventh Day Adventist and my husband is not sure what he believes... We are rating our son to have a knowledge of God etc, we pray with him and read stories etc... He also goes to a religious day care centre. I do not go to church right now as I'm not ready to commit 100% as I still have more searching to do, but if I decide to attend church, I will take my son along... When hes older he can decide for himself.

My brother, sister and I were all raised the same, with a mother who became an Adventist when we were around 7,9 and 11...I am the only one out of my siblings who is still a believer... They decided they didn't believe in God and do not follow a religion at all.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I'll definitely try to find some useful sites and post online! Even if you just type in google women in Islam or something along those lines You will see that women are regarded so highly in Islam. Im a modern Australian Muslim my husband is from a muslim overseas country, you will still see me dress as I like an wining and dining when I please..... Many people don't realise I am Muslim as I don't exactly shout it from the rooftops- don't get me wrong I'm not ashamed but i don't exactly introduce myself as hi I'm a Muslim LOL what I mean is blonde hair and fair skin do what I want.. People think one way about Muslim women and it's wrong. We also believe in the old testament - just thought I'd throw that in there lol

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Mum For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your right, you shouldn't have bothered with an uneducated comment.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Mum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-08-2012),Eko  (12-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (11-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I are pagan, me with specific interests in buddhist teaching. A major part of our religious belief is that everybody needs to walk their own path and form their own relationship with god/nature/divinity. Also that all religions should be respected but none are the only answer for all people. So basically we will talk to our kids about what we believe but also encourage them to learn about other religions too and make up their own mind when they are ready. If they want to join a church or become a hare krisha or whatever thats fine, we will support them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

Eko  (12-08-2012)