+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well up until recently i was absolutly against any religion and exposing my kids to it.
    After some consideration (we're actually looking into private schooling so the topic came up) ive change my mind considerably. I now think it would be a good thing for hem to be exposed/aware of religion.
    I was exposed to the christain faith as i was growing up. Although as an adult i decided i didnt believe in God etc, i still value the christain morals (eg, do to other as you would do to yourself) and would like my kids to know thats around.

So to answer the question, no i wont empose my religious believes on my kids. Im an athiest but id like my kids to learn about the christain faith/morals and make their own choice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Tradition, culture. Sometimes people feel it is easier to leave the religion than their culture behind. My parents were raised strict Catholic, and my mother had a brutal time, physical violence inflicted on her from a young age at her school in the name of god etc. By the time she was 19 she had decided that their couldn't be a god (how could all that awful stuff happen in the church etc) and she hated the catholic church.

My parents still have me baptised though - it is a cultural thing for them.

Also - I am a godparent, to a (very) catholic friend's daughter - she could have chosen someone religious to fill the roll, but at the end of the day we are almost like family. Yes - I won't be the best spiritual guide perhaps, but I will do everything in my power to make sure that they are happy and if anything happens to the parents I will be there for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    This is not said to upset you so pls disregard if it does.

Why baptize your child as a catholic when you won't raise them according to the teachings? There is a part in the ceremony that you promise to to do so.

Did you mean you won't take him to church till he is older or that you won't let him take the future sacraments till he wants to or that he comes with you but will decide at 7/8yo if he wants to take the other sacraments?

I'm struggling with this as my DH and I are godparents to his cousin's children and they are non practicing catholics. We are old school and practicing and not sure how to go about it as we promised to be part of their spiritual journey.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd will be hearing about different religions from everywhere. As dh still goes to the mosque on special occasions, she will eventually go with him, and I know my mil will be teaching her all about Islam (and that's fine with us!)

She will be told by us though that's what dads family believe, and over people (including mums family) believe differnt things, and I will be encouraging her to make up her own mind.

I will be avoiding telling her point blank what I believe when she is younger, as I would prefer her to not think 'well mum thinks that so I'll just go along with it'

She will be going to a catholic school as well just to throw something else in the mix!!
    Last edited by F&A; 11-08-2012 at 10:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we will impose as you say, this on our children. To me religion is something you live, not something that just comes out when you want it too, like on a Sunday. We live or lives everyday like this. We teach it at home, around the table when we eat and on Sunday when we go to church.

To us its part of the life we live. They attend a christian school that is affiliated to our church so they are taught at school the same values and principles they learn at home and church.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    Well up until recently i was absolutly against any religion and exposing my kids to it.
    After some consideration (we're actually looking into private schooling so the topic came up) ive change my mind considerably. I now think it would be a good thing for hem to be exposed/aware of religion.
    I was exposed to the christain faith as i was growing up. Although as an adult i decided i didnt believe in God etc, i still value the christain morals (eg, do to other as you would do to yourself) and would like my kids to know thats around.

So to answer the question, no i wont empose my religious believes on my kids. Im an athiest but id like my kids to learn about the christain faith/morals and make their own choice.
    Just curious- why just Christian faith and morals? Many other religions offer ideas and values that are just as valid?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (11-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Faith isn't faith unless it is your own.
    I like that, so true!

We had our kids baptized, we don't attend church regularly, and probably don't do a lot of things that may be "expected" but I wanted my kids baptized to me it felt right, I do believe in what I was brought up, I just believe that a god would not be vengeful and cruel so I don't feel I have to follow any strict rules, I feel I can believe in my own way.
    DD1 has always been Curious about religion, kind of freaks me out, as I said we believe but are not very religious! But she always has questions about other religions too which I'm really happy about I want her to be aware that we are all different and to be accepting of that. we are approach the questions as any others, if we don't have the answers we either go to the library or look it up on the net, I feel that way we squeeze in some computer skills or practice using the library- 2 birds with one stone sort of thing lol

When I read this topic made me think of DD when she was 3, driving in the car when she asks "so does god have his very own plane?" I asked where she got that from she answered well if he lives in heaven and that's up in the sky he must have his own plane.
    I just love the things they come up with, they're so innocent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Re 'morals'

Examples of, Ethics of reciprocity or "The Golden Rule can be found in MANY religions - it is not exclusively Christian (and actually predates jesus).

You can even look at nature if you like... and observe other animals working together with respect for their 'kind'.
    Ask yourself why a Piranha (a meat eating fish) doesn't attack other Piranhas...explore that idea and there you have a 'basic' foundation.

Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 11-08-2012 at 11:05.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, you can teach 'morals', empathy/compassion without religion needing to be involved. I guess these 'morals' would be for a different motivation than being due to a rule or to improve your afterlife, but valuable and teachable all the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I absolutely don't believe in imposing any religious beliefs on children, so I'll just be leaving him to learn as he grows up. I won't be letting DS attend religious classes in school either, unless they discuss all religions. I want my son to think critically and I don't believe organised religions teach that. He can make his own decisions when he's older.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Just curious- why just Christian faith and morals? Many other religions offer ideas and values that are just as valid?
    Like i said i was exposed to the christain faith as a child and thats what i know. I dont believe in the catholic morals/values eg, confessing something makes it ok. i dont believe in the musilm values/ethics eg, women being second rate citizen. Ill be the first to admit i dont understand EVERY aspect of each religion/faith but what i understand of the christain religion/faith i agree with/follow. Im not saying i agree with everything the christain religion/faith teaches eg, You go to heaven when you die etc but i do agree with most of the ten commandments and would like my kids to be taught about these.
    Last edited by jennibear; 11-08-2012 at 11:25. Reason: spelling