+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    DS is baptised as catholic but I certainly will not force him to attend church or practise the religion. He can if he wishes though
    This is not said to upset you so pls disregard if it does.

Why baptize your child as a catholic when you won't raise them according to the teachings? There is a part in the ceremony that you promise to to do so.

Did you mean you won't take him to church till he is older or that you won't let him take the future sacraments till he wants to or that he comes with you but will decide at 7/8yo if he wants to take the other sacraments?

I'm struggling with this as my DH and I are godparents to his cousin's children and they are non practicing catholics. We are old school and practicing and not sure how to go about it as we promised to be part of their spiritual journey.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 10-08-2012 at 23:53.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I resent my mum for making me go to church long after I had decided it wasn't for me. When I was living in the uk she was still guilting me into going at Christmas and if she was doing a reading and I was visiting I HAD to go to 'support' her.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    to a degree. I wont be allowing any indoctrination through school or friends.
    My kids are exposed to a number of religions and will be free to make up their own minds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will show DS my religion but I'm also happy to explore other religions if that's what he chooses.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I won't be. I am not baptised and my parents have always told me it is up to me if I want to follow a religion. They were not going to practice a religion so thought it was hypocritical to have me baptised.

My DH is Catholic and was forced to attend church up until he was in year 10. Over the years he has made many comments that it is a load of crap etc. Although he has mentioned a few times about baptising our children and I as 1. to make his mother happy (even bigger reason not to in my opinion) 2. because he all of us to go to heaven with him, bc he has been told over and over again if you are not baptised Catholic you won't go to heaven. This annoys me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my husband and I were raised in extremely supportive Christian families. My MIL and my parents always attended church, and we were taught from a young age about God. From the age of 14 I had the choice whether to come to church or not (before that we weren't allowed to stay home on our own at any time) and I continued going to church until I was 21. 4 years of being away from my faith and I realised I wholly believed what I had been taught growing up and returned to my faith. My children will learn about religion at school and we will discuss at home, but we intend to raise our children in a supportive Christian family, where they feel no condemnation if they want to make other decisions but will be equipped with the understanding of why we believe what we do. Sorry for super long post but there is always so much negativity about Christian upbringings, and it's not always like that.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mummabear27 For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (11-08-2012),MissMuppet  (11-08-2012),share a book  (11-08-2012),TheMadHatter  (11-08-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    This is not said to upset you so pls disregard if it does.

Why baptize your child as a catholic when you won't raise them according to the teachings? There is a part in the ceremony that you promise to to do so.

Did you mean you won't take him to church till he is older or that you won't let him take the future sacraments till he wants to or that he comes with you but will decide at 7/8yo if he wants to take the other sacraments?

I'm struggling with this as my DH and I are godparents to his cousin's children and they are non practicing catholics. We are old school and practicing and not sure how to go about it as we promised to be part of their spiritual journey.
    I had both of my children baptised because I was baptised and told that I had to have them done... I guess I did it out of fear because growing up I was always told if you weren't baptised you go to hell so on a subconcious level I was still ating out of the fear imposed in my of God by my parents etc... This happened before I discovered my current religion if I had my time over there is no way I would get them baptized again... But I can't change that now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    It's a bit impossible to grow up in a society without ANY knowledge of religious ideas/customs etc though don't you think.

I don't think the poster said she was going to keep her child in a box and not let the world in.

Just as the family that wasn't really into sport - I'm sure their kids would still develop an idea about swimming, football, gymnastics and iceskating, aswell as soccer from simple everyday exposure to life and people in general.
    This. Thanks FITB.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cianson View Post
    Both my husband and I were raised in extremely supportive Christian families. My MIL and my parents always attended church, and we were taught from a young age about God. From the age of 14 I had the choice whether to come to church or not (before that we weren't allowed to stay home on our own at any time) and I continued going to church until I was 21. 4 years of being away from my faith and I realised I wholly believed what I had been taught growing up and returned to my faith. My children will learn about religion at school and we will discuss at home, but we intend to raise our children in a supportive Christian family, where they feel no condemnation if they want to make other decisions but will be equipped with the understanding of why we believe what we do. Sorry for super long post but there is always so much negativity about Christian upbringings, and it's not always like that.
    THIS is exactly what we hope to achieve, though we have nothing to model it on (no Christian upbringing) Well said!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I grew up attending a catholic church/school and a non-denominational prayer/social group.

Hubby grew up in a home that used the church support system but not actually attending the church. He spent a few years in a orphanage and than back to his parents where the nuns would take them (kids) away on respites etc... It is all too complicated

Anyhow we have raised our kids in our belief's. They don't have to believe if they choose not to as as all faith is personal. They have to come to church until they are of age where can stay home on their own or work as dd choose.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post: