+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    How on earth is it the same??

If one family is really into soccer, for example..Do you think a family that doesn't have any interest in sport will have the same sort impact/effect on their child as the soccer fam?
    Being Atheist and not exposing them to religions/customs/beliefs of others, to me, is just as narrow as a religious person teaching only what they believe and nothing else. I believe in teaching as much as possible about religious beliefs, customs, traditions of other people around the world.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    deleted
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 12-08-2012 at 20:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I am agnosticish sort of, but I let DS go to scripture at school and he comes home saying things like "jesus is my friend", I tell him that people believe all kinds of different things and different religions, tell him stuff about all the different kinds of religions. He asks me why I don't think God exists and I tell him that I just don't know, but that it is ok for him to believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Being Atheist and not exposing them to religions/customs/beliefs of others, to me, is just as narrow as a religious person teaching only what they believe and nothing else. I believe in teaching as much as possible about religious beliefs, customs, traditions of other people around the world.
    It's a bit impossible to grow up in a society without ANY knowledge of religious ideas/customs etc though don't you think.

I don't think the poster said she was going to keep her child in a box and not let the world in.

Just as the family that wasn't really into sport - I'm sure their kids would still develop an idea about swimming, football, gymnastics and iceskating, aswell as soccer from simple everyday exposure to life and people in general.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Lil M  (11-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Exposing someone to various religions is very different than teaching a child that "ABC religion is the truth, you/we are ABCers, you/we live by these rules and rituls otherwise we will be out of favour with god".

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-08-2012),share a book  (11-08-2012),Theophania  (11-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Exposing someone to various religions is very different than teaching a child that "ABC religion is the truth, you/we are ABCers, you/we live by these rules and rituls otherwise we will be out of favour with god".
    That's exactly right. And I wonder what the impact would be if the child was also told that 'even though we are ABCers, most people around the world are not and disagree with our beliefs.'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree, I just worry with some views from Atheists (and not just on here) telling their kids how wrong it is to have any sort of beliefs and that there is no higher power and that is that. Not only is it limiting the child's access to other beliefs, it's also not exposing them to the outside world where religious beliefs and customs play a huge part in their culture. Not so much here in Australia, but at the same time I believe that being such a multicultural society where everyone is free to have whatever beliefs they want without fear of persecution, it seems very important to really go into detail about the different religions of the world. I believe I failed my brother when he thought he had to learn basic Spanish before going to Brazil. I know it's not religion, but it's all about culture, religions, beliefs, customs, the works of how the world works. I'm probably not being very clear about it but it's clear enough for people to know what I mean without having to pick it apart.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Agree, I just worry with some views from Atheists (and not just on here) telling their kids how wrong it is to have any sort of beliefs and that there is no higher power and that is that. Not only is it limiting the child's access to other beliefs, it's also not exposing them to the outside world where religious beliefs and customs play a huge part in their culture. Not so much here in Australia, but at the same time I believe that being such a multicultural society where everyone is free to have whatever beliefs they want without fear of persecution, it seems very important to really go into detail about the different religions of the world. I believe I failed my brother when he thought he had to learn basic Spanish before going to Brazil. I know it's not religion, but it's all about culture, religions, beliefs, customs, the works of how the world works. I'm probably not being very clear about it but it's clear enough for people to know what I mean without having to pick it apart.
    Well, I can only speak for myself and I'm an athiest but I am passionately interested in world cultures (I was an exchange student 24 years ago and lived in another country for 12 months!) so I will happily talk to my children about different cultures and show them photos of countries I've been and I guess religion would crop up in those discussions.

(Why do you think you failed your brother? Why would he need to learn Spanish to go to Brazil when they speak Portugese?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I can only speak for myself and I'm an athiest but I am passionately interested in world cultures (I was an exchange student 24 years ago and lived in another country for 12 months!) so I will happily talk to my children about different cultures and show them photos of countries I've been and I guess religion would crop up in those discussions.

(Why do you think you failed your brother? Why would he need to learn Spanish to go to Brazil when they speak Portugese?)
    I'm glad you feel that way. As for failing my brother, exactly, he would need to learn Portugese. I feel that I failed him because I really felt I had opened him up to the ways of other countries, language, religions, traditions, and all the other aspects of cultures. Not only that, but I told him that DD's friend was in the Phillipines when he had our nephew at the big world map. I said to show that to him. He said "Which state is that in?" So yeah I feel that I failed him and endeavour to put far more effort in with my daughter, which is why she has globes, world maps, books on religions of the world, and we sit down and talk about it a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is baptised as catholic but I certainly will not force him to attend church or practise the religion. He can if he wishes though