+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't believe in religion but I will be teaching my children what religion is all about, why people believe or don't believe, about the different religions, and then they can choose what they believe.

So yes I guess I'm imposing my beliefs, because I believe in choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    We don't do infant baptisms, our kids have to learn a lot of stuff and be interviewed before they choose to be baptised.

This really upsets me, baptism means so much to many people, it's sacred covenant to them and for someone to treat it like an admissions requirement is terrible.
    It really upsets me too ... And I'm an atheist!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At the moment my children are very young so they get and age appropriate view of the many, many religions that HAVE and DO exist in our world - through books (the most recent pulled down from the bookshelf is called 'One world, many religions' - it gives a very basic/non bias look at some of the modern religions active today - Judiasm, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism & Taoism)
    ...and other forms of media (they are loving a website called "Dust Echoes'' at the moment which 'is a series of twelve beautifully animated dreamtime stories from Central Arnhem Land, telling stories of love, loyalty, duty to country and aboriginal custom and law.').

They will also get a clear education on evolution and the natural world as I hold this in high priority to developing a 'world view'.

My honest hope is that they can critically assess and compare.

I am an Atheist - at times, depending on the conversation I admit to holding an 'anti-theist' POV...but, it is something that I DO NOT converse with my kids about as I believe it is not appropriate and prefer they live a childhood free from the 'religious vs non religious drama'.

..and like Bec said - at this point in time a great response IMO is asking what the child themselves think - it is amazing to hear their answers, especially knowing what and who they have been exposed to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    deleted
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 12-08-2012 at 20:13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I won't impose my belief in god on my kids any more than an atheist will impose their lack of belief in a god on their children.

Yes I teach them what I believe, I share my faith with them. I explain people believe in different gods, or no god and there is no right or wrong, but this is what *i* believe. They will make up their own mind as they grow older. I don't see it as much different to parents 'imposing' (for lack of a better word) their meat-eating habits, or vegetarian habits, or the like on their children.

Also we don't baptise our kids because I'd like them to be able to make that choice when they are older if the want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    deleted
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 12-08-2012 at 20:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    impose/teach/indoctrinate...

I think when you put it in the context of religion they are all much the same.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (11-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (10-08-2012),jbr  (12-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (11-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an encyclopedia of world religions aimed at kids, ours like to read it. DSS and DSD are definitely having religion imposed on them by BM but DH tries to teach them open mindedness to balance it out, I hope they will make their own decisions as young adults.
    Last edited by Atropos; 11-08-2012 at 10:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    No, I'm an atheist so there's nothing to impose on him anyway. Tbh I wasn't planning on discussing any sort of religion on him anyway so I suppose it's a non issue really.
    How is that different from teaching beliefs through day to day living your beliefs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    How is that different from teaching beliefs through day to day living your beliefs?
    How on earth is it the same??

If one family is really into soccer, for example..Do you think a family that doesn't have any interest in sport will have the same sort impact/effect on their child as the soccer fam?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Lil M  (11-08-2012)