Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormAngel View Post
    I wasn't raised religious so but DH was raised in a catholic household
    To the point where now he will not
    Make his kids do what he had to do, our kids are not christened and do not
    Attend scripture classes at school. If, when they are adults they choose to follow a religion the that will be their choice then
    This was what happened in our house too ... I told dh when our children were born I was happy to have them christened if he wanted ... He didn't.

We have been to christenings for my dh sister and my sisters children ... It makes me feel so relieved that he made that decision. Neither are religious and it seems really hypocritical and dis-respectful to the religion to have children christened when you have no intentions of actively following a faith. My sis openly admits they have only done it to get their children into catholic school - which made me angry because I then consider we wasted our Sunday going to church.

I have the greatest respect for those that have faith

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    See, I don't get that, more than half of the children in DD's class at a religious school are not baptised anything. It hasn't seen them miss out on the school, so why would people do it just to get into a school when it has become less of a requirement these days?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmm.. I have discussed with my son (the other one is too little) that other people believe in (basic concept of god etc) and that i choose to believe differently. I have also told him that when he is older, if he would like to explore religion, i will help make that happen, but i wont participate, and i will accept his beliefs. He says atm its not important to him and we have left it at that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes on 3 fronts

1- i believe in my faith.

2- When DH and I got married we promised to welcome and raise our children in our faith. Not doing that is going against our vows. I hold it to the same level as the vow to honour, cherish and love each other.

3- both our families are catholic and failing to raise our children as Catholics would cause family discord.

If our children chose to as adults to walk away from our faith or to marry outside it- I will be disappointed but will accept it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't do infant baptisms, our kids have to learn a lot of stuff and be interviewed before they choose to be baptised.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    See, I don't get that, more than half of the children in DD's class at a religious school are not baptised anything. It hasn't seen them miss out on the school, so why would people do it just to get into a school when it has become less of a requirement these days?
    This really upsets me, baptism means so much to many people, it's sacred covenant to them and for someone to treat it like an admissions requirement is terrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

This really upsets me, baptism means so much to many people, it's sacred covenant to them and for someone to treat it like an admissions requirement is terrible.
    same here. Or the ones that baptize and then they are done... Till wedding... And funerals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, I'm an atheist so there's nothing to impose on him anyway. Tbh I wasn't planning on discussing any sort of religion on him anyway so I suppose it's a non issue really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad's an Atheist and he imposed his belief in not believing in things on us.

He was most disappointed when I was baptised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching your children what you believe, as long as you are teaching them what others believe (or not)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know my life before and I know my life since my faith. We will absolutely raise our children to understand what we believe, but it has to be more than a religion. Faith has to be lived.

If I can convince my children to believe in God, then someone else can convince them not to. Faith is in the heart, and I hope to that when I am old and grey, that my children's children will know and love God.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lissy12 For This Useful Post:

mummabear27  (11-08-2012)