+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From a religious POV, God saved SABs brother because there's more to his life on earth still.

I do see why it's upsetting, but as an example I have a friend who is about to lose her toddler to cancer. She's at peace with the situation, she knows that God has a plan and the situation is greater than she or anyone can comprehend. She cherishes the experience she's had and how her family have grown through it, all the things her 3yo has taught her about life, faith and love. She knows in her heart she will be with her daughter again soon.

So while we don't know why right now, we will some day.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (12-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (12-08-2012),Jakois  (12-08-2012),share a book  (12-08-2012),TheMadHatter  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    From a religious POV, God saved SABs brother because there's more to his life on earth still.

I do see why it's upsetting, but as an example I have a friend who is about to lose her toddler to cancer. She's at peace with the situation, she knows that God has a plan and the situation is greater than she or anyone can comprehend. She cherishes the experience she's had and how her family have grown through it, all the things her 3yo has taught her about life, faith and love. She knows in her heart she will be with her daughter again soon.

See, I sort of follow the same belief.
    That when we die, it's because it's our time to go.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (12-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post

FITB - I'm sorry you lost your uncle, and also your DP's cousin. That poor thing... Someone like that definitely deserves to get better and have a happy life .

Thanks Eko - it's been 18 years on the the 2nd of August just gone that he was killed, the memory of his smile is still very strong with all of our family even thse who were not born when he was alive - thanks to photographs and happy stories about his brilliant character.

DPs cousin became a close friend over the last few years, she was very much a 'believer' and shared some awesome stories of her own with me and DP, she communicated that she found our 'view' fascinating and aswell as freely answering questions - asked many of us at the same time - what I loved about her in that regard is that she NEVER had the arrogance to say "I know.."

Her dying request to her friends and family was that [besides looking after her children] ...that she be remembered whenever a rainbow makes an appearance.
    So, now --- even though I understand HOW a rainbow comes to be with the passing of sunlight through water drops... She will always come to mind, and that colourful arc in the sky will be forever special in our hearts.

Look, I know people use god(s) and spirit guides as a soft place to fall, and also as a foundation to keep them strong...I just wanted to put it out there and help people be aware of the hurt they may cause to 'non believers' or people of a different spiritual background when they, in their attempt to comfort someone - or in their attempt to explain death/survival to a child - that they may be contributing to further grief and upset.

My mother has the belief (at the moment) that people view their life before they live it and that is is there for them to 'learn a lesson in life' - that it is their time to go when they die for a 'reason'.
    When I asked her to go and sit in front of all the starving children in the world born into poverty and with a life expectancy just a fraction of our own, and say that - ofcourse she looked uncomfortable.
    Massive irk of mine. And I do apologise if my blunt honesty disturbs.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 12-08-2012 at 13:58.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-08-2012),Bubmum  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh - Call me arrogant, call my friend arrogant, but who are you to say what someone 'knows'.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-08-2012),share a book  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep, that's it. For the record, I have lost people close to me as well and could not understand why.

I don't really give a toss what other people believe, and am not putting my beliefs onto other people so give me the same respect thank you. And thank you to those who have messaged, it's very kind of you.

Everyone from emergency services crew to hospital staff and police have all said he has more to do in this life. The woman who came across him was a nurse and when she had done all she could physically for him, she said a prayer because it was seemingly evident that he would not be alive upon removal from the vehicle. Everyone who saw the crash site before we had it towed said the same thing and even my Atheist mother has said she can't explain it logically and has decided that there is something else out there making these decisions.

I'm sorry for your uncle, I really am, and I will not even attempt to explain it. All I know is what I have personally witnessed and felt. Not what others have witnessed or felt, or the conclusion others have come to.

This is why people don't bother sharing, someone gets offended when it is really nothing to do with them or their family, but a deeply personal thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh - Call me arrogant, call my friend arrogant, but who are you to say what someone 'knows'.
    I'm sorry - but saying "I know" comes across that you are without a doubt 'certain' and that everyone else who has a different opinion/guess/idea is WRONG.

I would NEVER say 'I KNOW' there is nothing after we die...

I "THINK" and strongly lean towards the idea that it is 'lights out'... but I don't claim to "KNOW" ..because ..simply - I don't.
    No one does - that is why there is no universal, unchanging FACT that everysingle person knows for sure.

I 'doubt' there is a 'plan' for every living thing - while they are alive and after they die, I'm open to all the various stories about it - I'm happy to be proven wrong with undiable evidence.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (12-08-2012),Eko  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

I don't really give a toss what other people believe, and am not putting my beliefs onto other people so give me the same respect thank you. And thank you to those who have messaged, it's very kind of you.
    I guess that is where we differ - I actually DO "give a toss" what other people beieve - I find it fascinating.

Putting your beliefs out on a public forum IS putting it on to other people.
    Just so you know - and all I was doing was trying to make you aware of it.

How lovely that you have recieved messages SAB... no one messaged me with saying they were sorry to hear of the passing of DPs cousin.

Oh the hypocrisy.

I'm out.

(careful - I can hear you breath a sigh of relief from here)

just a final word re the OP...because this is truly a subject that makes my blood boil (ie - forcing kids into the parents religion).

- Allow kids to be themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My dad was a policeman in the rescue squad and my BIL is a paramedic.

They have seen hundreds of accidents where people have survived and shouldn't have, by the state of the car or circumstances of the accident. Others have died when the car had a scratch.

I don't believe god intervenes, because the god I would like to know would not let anybody die in a cruel way!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-08-2012),blondekelli  (12-08-2012),Bubmum  (12-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (12-08-2012),FiveInTheBed  (12-08-2012),Glover  (12-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Should have learnt by now it's only ok to post if you are an atheist, anything else is unacceptable and means we believe in fairytales and are uneducated and pushing our beliefs onto others simply by mentioning what we believe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

CakeyLoaf  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FITB, just for the record and I know this of off topic, but I'm with you on the 'someone was looking after this person' philosophy

I find it incredibly arrogant to think that the architect of the cosmos or his delegates helps some people avoid death but looks the other way when others are just allowed to die (or be tortured, mutilated, killed, etc) and it's chalked up to 'mysterious ways'.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-08-2012),beebs  (12-08-2012),blondekelli  (12-08-2012),Bubmum  (12-08-2012),FiveInTheBed  (12-08-2012)